cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time basic user, can't stomach or see the point of the plus pricing

Highlighted

Long time basic user, can't stomach or see the point of the plus pricing

New member | Level 2

I was an early adoptor of dropbox and former* evangelist; I think I have 3tb from all the invites I've sent to friends and collegues. I have at present two personal windows machines, an ipad and an android phone. I'm not certain when the device count cap was introduced for the basic plan, but it's super frustrating. So much so, it's encouraged me to leverage Google Drive, OneDrive and iCloud much more lately. I've looked into upgrading dropbox a few times, but each time the $120/yr price just stops me in my tracks. I pay a few bucks to Google monthly for a few TB, a few to Apple, and I'm honestly not sure about Microsoft (it's either so little I don't notice it, or I don't pay for it at all). Heck I think I even get a bunch of storage with my Amazon Prime account (for which I pay about what the basic Dropbox plan costs).

So the overall gist of this post is, there are a lot of options these days for individuals. Some cloud storage options have their natural integration points and inherent advantages (MS Office, Google stuff, IOS stuff). What does Dropbox really offer the others don't, and why the heck is it SO much more expensive than the rest? It doesn't help that the plan comparison chart doesn't list the free version features, but I suppose that's on purpose. I'm not looking for an automated backup solution either, just an online repository for files across devices and platforms, and occasionally an easy way to share files with other peeps.

I get that Dropbox needs a revenue stream, and I'm not dead set on free. If the options weren't so limited, I might jump in. I'd be comfortable at maybe $3 a month max for my current storage and a the ability to add a few more devices. But failing that, count me out. I'm simply not interested in paying $10/mo to log into dropbox on one more device

TBH, I looked for an email contact link to simply give my feedback and get this off my chest, but since I'm a free user, no joy there.

* I used to recommend dropbox to everyone, especially since I would frequently use it to share files. But with some negative UX issues lately (mainly uploading files on IOS and Android), device connectivity limits and pricing, I don't recommend it much anymore (it could also be most folks have online file storage sorted at this point since it's kind of built into IOS, Android and Widnows these days).

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Long time basic user, can't stomach or see the point of the plus pricing

New member | Level 2

i understand

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?