cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost 2FA and backup code

Lost 2FA and backup code

Dorian Gray
Explorer | Level 4

Hi All,

I have committed the cardinal sin.

I have lost my backup code and 2FA. I have had this account for 10+ years and I recently enabled 2FA now I am stuck. 

Is there a way for dropbox to change 2FA settings? If I have to prove my identity I will be more than happy to do so.

Please help me with your suggestions. 

21 Replies 21

Mark
Super User II

No, sorry, there isnt. 

Are you still logged in on a device? Did you set up the emergency text system or not?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dorian Gray
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Mark ,

Dropbox was installed on my secondary iphone.

Initially, when I tried logging in a few days back and did not have 2FA code, dropbox sent an approval request to iphone but the app of offload by iphone cause the usage. I assumed downloading the app again will trigger an approval to my iphone but unfortunately, I was requested to log into dropbox on my iphone as well.

I am not sure if I have set an "emergency text system" since I signed into dropbox ages ago. Is the "emergency text system" a keyword or a password or a code. If it is a password I will have it cause I have a note of all my dropbox passwords.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jeshrel

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Dorian Gray, I hope you are well! 

Have you tried checking in this Help Center article that gives a few ideas on how you can solve 2FA issues? 

It would be great if you can check any devices, to see if are connected to your account there as well, so you can disable the feature from there. 

Don't hesitate to let me know if you still have issues after trying those steps. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Dorian Gray
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan ,

I am doing good. Thank you for asking.

Hope you are doing well.

I was not lucky to find a device that has dropbox singed into but I have my old phone(2015) I may have logged into it but since it does not have a battery I was not able to check it. I have placed an order for a new battery it should take a week at least, once I get it will update the thread.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jeshrel

Dorian Gray
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan ,

Good day.

I received the new battery for the phone but it does not have Dropbox installed in it 😭.

Do I have another option?

Regards,

Jeshrel

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Sorry to hear that @Dorian Gray.

In this case, there isn't much I can suggest in terms of regaining access to the account if you can't take any of the steps in the article Lori provided.

Having said that, to cover all possibilities, you can submit a ticket with our Support team to see if there is anything they could do.

You can do this by visiting this page via an incognito window, and filling in the relevant info there.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this, but please let me know if you have any questions - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dorian Gray
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Daphne 

Thank you very much. I am totally to blame. I should have managed it better.

I tried opening the link that you had shared but it is redirecting me to Dropbox support homepage  where I am not able to see an option for sign-in issues. Would you be able to help me with the steps?

Regards,

Jeshrel

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Did you use an incognito window without signing into any account during that process @Dorian Gray?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Dorian Gray
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Walter ,

Thank you. I did open it in incognito mode but signed in and then tried to open the link that was the mistake.

Now I am able to create a ticket thanks to you but I received this message 😕 

"Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Dropbox support. Replies to this email are routed to an unmonitored inbox and will not be answered by our support team."

Is this normal.

Regards,

Jeshrel

Need more support?