cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost 2FA and backup code

Lost 2FA and backup code

Dorian Gray
Explorer | Level 4

Hi All,

I have committed the cardinal sin.

I have lost my backup code and 2FA. I have had this account for 10+ years and I recently enabled 2FA now I am stuck. 

Is there a way for dropbox to change 2FA settings? If I have to prove my identity I will be more than happy to do so.

Please help me with your suggestions. 

21 Replies 21

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Could you share the ticket's ID in order to locate it on our system, Jeshrel? 

Otherwise, would it be OK if we reached out via the email address that's connected to your Community's profile directly?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Dorian Gray
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Walter ,

Please find my ticket number "Ticket #12203190: DB: Lost my 2FA emergency code".

Please feel free to reach out via community email or the one in the ticket anything works with me.

Thank you

Regards,

Jeshrel

Walter
Dropbox Staff
As this ticket seems to be closed now, may I reach out from my end via email to look further into this matter @Dorian Gray?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Dorian Gray
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Walter ,

Yes, that would be great.

Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Sure thing @Dorian Gray; I used the email address that's associated with your profile here on our Community. 

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Ivanee19
New member | Level 2
I am having the same issue for my other Dropbox account. This forum isn’t really helpful. I have yet to hear back from Dropbox support. My ticket number is 12445537. I have been waiting on a response for 2 weeks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Ivanee19, welcome to our Community! 

I've replied back to your ticket, and I'd be more than happy to help. 

Take your time, and reply back to me whenever you can. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Fede94
New member | Level 2

Hi all, a few months ago I enabled two factor with the authentication app, on other account. I'm pretty sure I wasn't given any backup code during activation (the old site was still there). I suddenly had to reset my phone and currently do not access any code. As a last resort, I opened a second account, this one. can I do anything from there for the first locked account? Or: could I privately give you a phone number so that you can receive an OTP code? I have really important data... Thank you.

Rich
Super User II

@Fede94 wrote:

I opened a second account, this one. can I do anything from there for the first locked account? Or: could I privately give you a phone number so that you can receive an OTP code?

Unfortunately, without the backup codes it's not possible to gain access to a Dropbox account if you're no longer able to receive the verification code. Backup codes have always been given when enabling two-step verification.

menar
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

I'm log out of my account because I changed a couple of years ago my cellphone number and forgot to remove the two step verification. Unfortunately I dont have neither the 6 digit code that's send to the cellphone (older one) and not the emergency code. I have contacted support they send me automatic messages that i have already read in help. I have tried calling the old number to see if someone can send me the code, but no answer either. I really need help, i don't now if the technician can do something about it, me providing the information to valid my persona. 

Need more support?