cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Mobile + Changed Mobile Number + No Backup Code

Highlighted

Lost Mobile + Changed Mobile Number + No Backup Code

Explorer | Level 3

I've changed mobile number and then mobile phone was sold. So I cannot sign in past the 2FA when I login. I've emailed support@dropbox.com and callled everynumber under the sun. Our business is suffering as we have important information I need to regather. If you can help asap as I need to get access again.

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: Lost Mobile + Changed Mobile Number + No Backup Code

Super User II

Simply put you cannot get access back. 

You put in security systems in place to stop people getting access to your account without the 2 factor authenticiation. You now do not have that. It would make a mockery of the whole system if you could get access without that. 

Dropbox very clearly tell you this on sign up which is why they give you back up codes. They've also said this publicly on numerous occasions. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. So I've lost about 500k worth of source code and business documents, youre telling me? 

Highlighted

Super User II

Yes, well, if you only have them on Dropbox?

But I assume as they are valuable you've got them backed up elsewhere? Restore from that.

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Is there anyway to sign up as enterprise user. Then send my I'd in to get files back. I didn't have a backup for the business as I used Dropbox as a solution.
Highlighted

Super User II

No. Dropbox are very clear - without the 2FA or the codes they give you you cannot get in again because that is what you told them to do. Thats the set up and security.

Unless you have access to that mobile you cannot get access back - have you asked the mobile network if they can reset it up for you?

Or, tried calling it and seeing if its live? Would somebody maybe then send you the code?

- - -

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Why can't they ask for my I'd, against my credit card. Amazon AWS did this no problems. How can I speak to one of these faceless support staff?
Highlighted

Super User II

All your support options are available via www.dropbox.com/support

Dropbox, however, have said publicly on here that its so easy to fake those documents (rightly so) that they do not accept it.

- - -

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
That's actually really bad. Years of paying them substantial amounts of money and all our company documents are gone. When the Australian Tax Office asks us for millions in financial accountants unaccounted for, well just send them to legal department of Dropbox.
Lastly, are these codes stored or sent BTW?
Highlighted

Super User II

@Dinorito and I'm sure the first question the Australian Gov will ask is 'where is your backup plans and disaster recovery plans' ? 

You cannot blame Dropbox for your own (sorry to be so blunt) poor planning and security set up of the business. It is not Dropbox's fault that you told them to not give anybody access within 2FA. It is not Dropbox who then changed their phone number without updating it on Dropbox. It is not Dropbox who did not securely store the recover codes. 

In terms of codes, I'm not sure what ones you are on about. 

BUT again, the **ONLY** people here who can offer any further clarification on the above is Dropbox who you will need to contact via support. 

- - -

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?