Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost access to my account

david12345678 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have had a dropbox pro plan for many years.  This morning the company I'm working for invited me to join their own account.  When I accepted the invitation I was given two options.  The first was to keep the folders separate, the second was to combine them.  I don't remember the exact language but the most logical choice seemed to be the one to combine them.  

When I chose this option my long-standing dropbox account was closed and all of the devices I had connected to it we disconnected.  How do I reverse this?  I work through Dropbox every day and can't afford to have downtime.  

It seems counter-intuitive that joining a new account would forfeit my existing account.  I have joined shared folders and have shared folders with others and this has never been an issue.  

5 Replies 5

Re: Lost access to my account

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @david12345678, thanks for checking in with us!

When you join a Business team, all of the files you have at that point in time will transfer to your Dropbox Business account, and you'll still be able to access them. 

Having said that, could you please clarify if you were prompted to sign in again from the website, desktop app, or/and the mobile app?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I don't think I had to sign in.  I can't remember the exact sequence of events.  I became aware that my account had been deactivated when I got a refund for my dropbox pro plan

Is there any way I can just reinstate my original plan as it was?  

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @david12345678.

At first, I wanted to mention that your account is still active, but your individual subscription ended.

More specifically, since you transfered from a Dropbox Plus/Professional to Dropbox Business, your subscription immediately ended and any remaining credit is to be refunded to the original payment method. 

If you want to go back to having an individual account, you'll have to ask the admin to convert you to one by following these steps

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I tried to follow these steps but wasn't able to.  Where is the admin consol?  What is it?  

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

You'll have to ask an admin of the team to convert your account to an individual (Basic) account. If you're not sure who the admin is, you can follow the steps shown in this article

Once they do this, you can upgrade to a Plus or Professional plan from this link

Let me know how it goes, @david12345678!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?