cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Fullbore
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am using 2.81 GB of 6.75 GB so why did dropbox send this email-

This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape. Upgrade your Dropbox today and get up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space and powerful sharing features.

72 Replies 72

DJSpa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had the same message, with my account saying I am using 1.977 out of 5.88 available.

It looks like 1.977 is very close to 2 ... so it looks like Dropbox is ignoring the (3.88GB more) 'earned' extra space promised by Dropbox.

I wonder if an explanation and/or apology from Dropbox would be welcome?

RobC
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

An internal system error automatically triggered the sending of these emails to some users incorrectly. 

It was initially reported to us on another thread here. You also can check out the solution posted there if you want some more info.

Really sorry for any confusion it might have caused.

DJSpa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes - the email seemed quite agressive and upsetting. I agree it should be changed. How about? ...

"you may wish to remove some files from dropbox or to upgrade. Dropbox will continue working as long as you are below your limit"

MortyMcFly
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Ross_S wrote:

We'll make the change and no further users should receive this email incorrectly after the weekend. 

(I'll try and get it stopped and reconfigured sooner than that of-course, but I just give that timeframe as that's the latest I expect all the updates to take to apply.)

Many thanks for highlighting here and saving other users the pain!

So, I got an updated email, saying:

We recently sent you an email about your account needing more space. We mistakenly sent it as a result of an email system issue. The email is an official Dropbox communication; however, it should only be sent to users who are almost out of Dropbox space. You have used 49% of your 9GB space allowance.

Which is nice.. but the numbers are still wrong. My account shows "Using 12.3 GB of 25.5 GB" which is 48.2%, so I'll give you the 49 as a rounding up thing. But 25.5 doesn't equal 9

DJSpa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

You have now apologised for saying 1.977 is approaching 2GB when I have 5.88GB available.

Your apology is almost as wrong as your original mistaken email. You now say I have "used 49% of your 4GB allowance".

This is more nonsense. My account tells me, correctly, that my allowance is 5.88GB.

Come on, DropBox, please get your numbers correct ... this looks like a mess !

Can someone be put onto this error-trail who can count please?

Warm regards ...

DropDead
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It Doesn't Work. The thing will not STFU about running out of space on my hard drive.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DropDead:laughing: Love your user name. Welcome to Community. 

This thread is for some emails that were send out, mistakenly reporting users did not have space, while they did. :grimacing:

If your hard drive reports to be full, try Selective Sync and Smart Sync (Smart sync is a feature for paid Dropbox accounts) 

:wink:

P.S. You can create your own thread if you have more questions! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

DavidC3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I keep getting emalis from you telling me to "reply."  Please stop sending them to me.   Thank you.

legaleagle76
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well, I emailed Dropbox months ago to close my account, delete my images and data and now I have received the "your Dropbox is almost full" email twice. I don't care because I thought my account was closed. I would again request that you close my account, delete all my information and data. Thank you in advance for ignoring my email the last time.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @legaleagle76. Thanks for joining. Please be aware we cannot delete your account. Only you can. The owner. Alternatively, inactivity of 12 months would result to your accounts deletion. Steps to delete a Dropbox account. 

Cheers!

[This thread is closed due to inactivity. Feel free to create a new topic in the Community here.] 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    reflog369 Explorer | Level 4
    gtb New member | Level 2
    gplhl72 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?