cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Fullbore
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am using 2.81 GB of 6.75 GB so why did dropbox send this email-

This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape. Upgrade your Dropbox today and get up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space and powerful sharing features.

72 Replies 72

Rx2sail
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have 2 GB + 5 GB = 7 Total. and account notes 4.14 GB of unused space, yet have received notifications indicating i've reached my 2 GB limit and it stopped syncing 19 days ago. go. What is happening and how do i resolve? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Rx2sail, I hope you're doing great today!

Your post has been moved to this thread.

Can I ask where did you receive this message to? 

I just wanted to add my two cents to this and ensure that you’re looking at the same account. You can find out more about this at:

Let us know of any updates!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rasherson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue. My account says "Using 1.3 GB of 2 GB" but I received an email, subject "Pretty urgent: Your Dropbox is full and no longer syncing". I don't sync and my storage is by no means full.

It does seem like a marketing thing - can it be stopped please?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @rasherson, thanks for the nudge here. 

If you check the email address this email was sent to, is the same as the one you see in your account settings?

If not, you probably have another Dropbox account that is full, under that email.

Let me know if that's not the case.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

jalbert
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same for me. While I am using 85% space, pushing emails on clients who are already paying for services, to pay for more services, is really annoying. The messages are borderline predatory... people can simply remove files to make space, you know?

Keep in mind, there are alternate companies that don't push their services down my throat.

All you have to do is to not go out of your way to annoy people 🙂 so stop it please.

Julien

D71
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also getting these messages - on an almost daily basis lately, I also have the red "problem" exclamation mark on the desktop app icon.
Its my understanding that this email is auto generated at 80% usage which would probably be reasonable for someone at 400Mb of a 500Mb account but as people have larger and larger limits 80% is a pretty low threshold - 90-95% would be more appropriate.

I have used 6.1Gb of 7.3Gb on my account, which I have had for years without ever using the capacity amount, these emails are more than an annoyance they are a deceptive marketing tool trying to get people to panic upgrade.

wens62
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi 👋🏻 morning I wanted to check with someone at Dropbox if the emails I receive are legitimate?? Or scams? My email begins with capital letters EMAIL NOTIFICATION?? Then proceeds to inform me that I'm out of space

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @wens62

If the emails are coming from any of the official Dropbox domains, then they are legitimate.

You can see all the domains here.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

gplhl72
Explorer | Level 4
I’m getting the same. I’ve got over 13gb. With only 80% used. Todays sensationalist lie says it’s about to stop syncing unless I act. Why are they not being honest. This makes me less likely to use them as long term paid solution. I’m more likely to go with another provider as Dropbox are liars.

gtb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

It looks like this bug has resurfaced.   (using base level  instead of base+extra for comparison to limits).
i received an email, and on investigation several prompts on the web-site.

Please let me know if this is a planned lowering of the basic limit (and not grandfathering legacy users); and/or expiration of the extra space.

All and all am very happy with dropbox, and as a former s/w engineer know that stuff happens, and that getting fixes through the pipeline/ bureaucracy can take time.

see image below, 2 different quota's shown (i highlighted in yellow, and redacted my email)

Screenshot 2023-09-24 120453.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    reflog369 Explorer | Level 4
    gtb New member | Level 2
    gplhl72 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?