cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC - memory needed on laptop after copying to Dropbox

LaurenzFrederik New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dear,

I have copied all that I have from my laptop - MacBook Pro - so that I can clear memory and finally install Sierra as operation software (it needs 4,8GB, I now have 14GB freed up and still is not sufficient according to the pop-ups, but that's an other question). 

Now, over 50GB of pictures I copied to my Dropbox - yet, the memory of my laptop has not cleared up? How? What? Why have Dropbox if it does not help you clear memory space on your laptop?

Any help?

2 Replies 2

Re: MAC - memory needed on laptop after copying to Dropbox

Super User II
Super User II

You seem to have misunderstood the purpose of Dropbox. The Dropbox folder on your computer is a folder like any other. Anything you put in the Dropbox folder still resides on your computer, taking up disk space. Dropbox is not a cloud-based folder or drive where the items you put it in only exist online and not on your computer. It's primary purpose is to sync your files between all of your computers.

If you copy files into the Dropbox folder on your computer, you're doubling the disk space that's being used by those files (you now have two separate copies; one in the Dropbox folder and the original). The idea is that you should move your files into the Dropbox folder and work on them there, so any changes you make will sync automatically to your account online and any other devices that you're syncing to.

Now, if saving disk space is your primary goal, Dropbox can help with that as well. Using either the Selective Sync or Smart Sync features, you can remove the local copy of your files from your hard drive so they only exist online.

With Selective Sync, any folder that you uncheck will be removed from you local hard drive and remain in your account online (and on any other devices you sync to). To access that folder, you would then use the Dropbox website. Make sure that any folder you want to remove using Selective Sync has fully synced BEFORE you uncheck it, or you could end up removing it before it has finished syncing to your account and you would lose files.

Smart Sync is similar to Selective sync in that it will remove the local copy of files and folders from your drive so that they only exist in your account, but it will leave them visible on your drive without taking up space. Any file that is marked as Online Only can still be opened on your computer. When clicking on an Online Only file, it would be downloaded to your computer automatically and marked as Local. You could then do what you need with the file, save it and mark it as Online Only so it's again removed from your local drive.

Re: MAC - memory needed on laptop after copying to Dropbox

jsalico
Explorer | Level 4
Lo que sucede con Dropbox es que primero debemos descargarla en tu macbook. luego en la instalación se crea una carpeta llamada DROPBOX, la cual estará en tus archivos internos (ocupando espacio de tu memoria) y además estará en la nube. El beneficio de dropbox en un pc no es tanto liberar espacio de almacenamiento, sino que carga los archivos a la nube y los puedes obtener desde cualquier dispositivo en cualquier lugar siempre y cuando tengas una conexión de internet. Espero haberte ayudado

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?