cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

MACv10: DB at home wks gd. Wk computer w/ no disc space. Shd I jst use web at work?

Helpful | Level 5

I put dropbox the full program on my desktop MAC work computer, High Sierra 10, but it has no space left.  At work, if I want access to a file I want is on that wk computer it just go to MAC finder to access it, because as I am set up DB snycs to both computers separately.  Am I doing this wrong?  Should I delete my dropbox file at work and just use the internet like it was a mobile device?  Sorry for being so ill informed.  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: MACv10: DB at home wks gd. Wk computer w/ no disc space. Shd I jst use web at work?

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Jane. 

I actually have 3 High Sierra's.  Two desktops both w/ 16g ram and MacBook pro 8 ram that I am dealing with.  All have 500g hard disks.  

I am getting there, slowly.  The macbook was slow to show on the Finder screen which folders were local or on-line via smart sync, and then which were removed via selective sync, which seems to be working now.  I am learning too.  I can report that the  DB folder status icons on folder were not there, after the DB icon on my top menu bar reported "up to date."   This was after a substantial re-ordering so I am not concerned.

I'm getting there.  Thank you for being attentive to my needs!

Terry

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: MACv10: DB at home wks gd. Wk computer w/ no disc space. Shd I jst use web at work?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey TM1223, you are very well-informed & thanks a lot for getting in touch on our Community for advice, it’ll be a pleasure to follow-up with you! 

Based on your description, you’ve explored syncing & it’s my understanding that you’ve setup Dropbox fine on both your devices. Here are some some initial checks to get you going: 

#1. For starters, please make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your Macs (58.4.92), you’ve made all OS updates & it’s syncing correctly on your menu bar. If all your content is updating online, then you’re syncing your files just fine. 

#2. From there, it’ll be useful to you to utilize our Selective Sync feature to save some space at the Mac you’re using at the office, which allows you select only the folders you want to be synced locally on this device. Of course, you can also use our website, though our desktop application constantly keeps your files up-to-date with your latest changes & aims to make your workflow more efficient. 

Can you check if this is the option you were looking for & let me know how it works for you in your next post? Thanks in advance & I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jane,

I couldn't get selective sync to work.  It kept giving "could not do this" like msg's back.  So I upgraded to the next level that allows for smart sync and that fixed it.  I had checked the block to do monthly, but it looks like I got billed for yearly.  Thanks for helping me with this.

Terry

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for your quick response on our discussion here Terry (@TM1223)! 

As we can only look into payment-specific inquiries through our Official Support channel (i.e. we’ll need sensitive details that can’t be accessed on our Forum), I’ve made sure to reach out to you on my end, so as to look into your payment specifics together. (Additionally I’d happily investigate in a bit more depth the cause of the error message you received when trying to modify your Selective sync settings.)

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you from more closely. I hope that this is helpful to you & I’ll be awaiting your next reply on our email correspondence. Thanks again! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Jane. 

I actually have 3 High Sierra's.  Two desktops both w/ 16g ram and MacBook pro 8 ram that I am dealing with.  All have 500g hard disks.  

I am getting there, slowly.  The macbook was slow to show on the Finder screen which folders were local or on-line via smart sync, and then which were removed via selective sync, which seems to be working now.  I am learning too.  I can report that the  DB folder status icons on folder were not there, after the DB icon on my top menu bar reported "up to date."   This was after a substantial re-ordering so I am not concerned.

I'm getting there.  Thank you for being attentive to my needs!

Terry

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Absolutely Terry (@TM1223), that’s why we’re here. Just to re-iterate your last update- in order to make sure I’m following-up correctly- it seems that you’re on the right track syncing your content from/to your Macs (which is amazing & thanks a lot for letting me know here), though you may need some additional time for all your files’ settings to apply, as you’ve recently done some re-ordering. 

If so, then you could take as much time as needed to let everything sync across your devices & keep in mind that the Support request I’ve created on our system on your behalf is still open & you could reply back to it in case you’d need some additional assistance. Keep me updated on how you’d like us to proceed either here or via email. Happy syncing & a wonderful Monday ahead Terry! 

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?