cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macbook air and Dropbox - using up hard drive space

Macbook air and Dropbox - using up hard drive space

Justin R.1
New member | Level 1

purchased a new mac book air a couple of weeks ago as a new work computer.  all of my work files are on dropbox.  what i have found is that i must sync my dropbox folders with my mac in order to use it.  when i do this, the files are taking up my hard drive space. . . what's the point of the cloud if i have to put them on my hard drive?  i've used my dropbox account with my pc and my phone for years and it works great.  i keep things on the cloud and grab them when i need them or want to email them.  when i get an attachment on an email, i save it to one of my dropbox folders.  i don't want to have to put my dropbox on my computer. . . that's why i bought an air b/c i use the cloud for all of my storage needs.  someone please tell me that there's a simple solution that i am missing.

Thanks!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: macbook air and dropbox - using up hard drive space

Michael M.224
Helpful | Level 7

Regardless of the misunderstanding, it would be nice to point out the workarounds.  The first is to point out you can individually download files from dropbox.com.  Probably not the first choice and a PITA.  The second is Selective Sync which allows you to limit the files that are downloaded to your space limited device.  Also not ideal, it would require more management to keep the files you want/need local.

This could make the MacBook useful as a road warrior but not a good choice for a desktop replacement.

However, owning a Surface Book intended for a road warrior I have some gripes with the inability to individually download folders when needed (like I can on an android device) or at least limit selective sync to specific folders instead of it grabbing every new project folder added to dropbox until I manually unselect it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard P.
Super User alumni

You have misunderstood what Dropbox is - its a syncing service, not a remote drive service. To access Dropbox files on your computer, you either have to have them synced or you have to use the website.

Justin R.1
New member | Level 1

That is now how it operated on my PC. I haven't misunderstood anything.

Mark
Super User II

You have. 

Dropbox has never ever worked like that - you only need to look around the forums for the people who WANT it to work that way. 

The only exception is if you had installed a mobile version of Dropbox (e.g. Windows Surface), however, that doesnt let you save to a local Dropbox folder. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Michael M.224
Helpful | Level 7

Regardless of the misunderstanding, it would be nice to point out the workarounds.  The first is to point out you can individually download files from dropbox.com.  Probably not the first choice and a PITA.  The second is Selective Sync which allows you to limit the files that are downloaded to your space limited device.  Also not ideal, it would require more management to keep the files you want/need local.

This could make the MacBook useful as a road warrior but not a good choice for a desktop replacement.

However, owning a Surface Book intended for a road warrior I have some gripes with the inability to individually download folders when needed (like I can on an android device) or at least limit selective sync to specific folders instead of it grabbing every new project folder added to dropbox until I manually unselect it.

View solution in original post

Tracie S.1
New member | Level 1

Using a Macbook Air I have always been able to "save as" from Microsoft Windows and save a document to dropbox and not save on my laptop.  Recently, however, dropbox doesn't appear on the left side to choose the option to save to dropbox.  What has changed?  Is there a way around this?  

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tracie S.1 New member | Level 1
    Michael M.224 Helpful | Level 7
    Mark Super User II
    Justin R.1 New member | Level 1
    Richard P. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?