cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 5

Well... I won't quite say good-bye... Instead, I load up my acct to the capacity with useless dogma files.

Quitting only returns storage space to Dropbox.

OTOH you can open multiple "free" accounts and then "share" folders between accounts. Awkward, but helps those who are 2 or 3 connections shy of what they use.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7
Here's my question: What happens if you sign up Plus for a month, add more than three devices, then go back to the Free tier? Are the extra devices removed?
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I guess if you had to pay $10 a month for access one would tend to have a single dropbox for the family. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for telling me how to find my devices on dropbox.  I had trouble because the message saying I couldn't link new devices seemed to be prohibiting me from getting to my settings. Once I got rid of that message I could click on the (happy?) face and find my settings.  And you are right - I have about 10 devices linked when in reality I only have 1 iphone, 1 ipad and 1 desktop dropbox.  I'm afraid to unlink the others because if I made a mistake and unlinked a current device I'd be out of luck possibly.  

$10 a month is just unreasonable for an occasional user, period.  We occasional users do pay for software occasionally, but small amounts.  I give to Wikipedia every year, I pay $25 a year for Cozi gold, and $2 a month for extra google space so I can keep all my and my spouse's mail from the last 20 years on gmail, etc.  But I'll start using another service before I'll pay $10 a month.  It would be different if I were a business that used it frequently among a number of platforms and used vast amounts of space - then $10 a month would be a deal. 

I would suggest a plan limiting space to less than a TB for over 3 devices and charging a nominal fee for occasional users.  And remember people like me sold dropbox to the world. I bet I've personally gotten 25 or so people and a couple of businesses to use dropbox as their sharing platform.   

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox, I hope you are reading these because if you don’t rethink this new policy, you will see a mass exodus of users.  I have used Dropbox for years and put up with the tiny storage allowance because it worked for my uses.  However, like many, I have a desktop, a laptop, a phone, and a tablet.  As soon as I upgrade one of those, Dropbox is done.  With so many cheaper alternative cloud storage solutions, you should be concentrating on keeping your customers, not driving them away.  While many of your 480 Million free customers (that’s 96% of your total users Dropbox!) myself included, would probably pay $1-2 a month for 25GB and plenty of devices (say 6-8?), the $10 plan is not worth it for most of us.  I understand you want to make money, but without a low-price tier, all you have done is free up storage space from all the users you're going to lose.   Take a lesson from other successful companies and make $500 million on $1-2 fees per month, instead of $120 Million on $10 fees. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I get that Dropbox has to run a business, but this is really frustrating for me.

I've been a strong advocate for since I joined in 2008. I've referred enough friends, family, coworkers, and anybody else that will listen to have almost 10GB of space... but I would really be fine with just 1GB. I don't want to pay for terrabytes of storage that I don't need. It's really the synchronization across devices that I need, and 3 just isn't enough.

Dropbox - please consider a small fee to allow more devices, or maybe give more device connections to those of us who have advocated for you with referrals.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Tiered service plans are designed to be a poor fit to encourage you to upgrade and spend more than you otherwise would have. 3 is one less than a perfect fit for a lot of people, pushing them towards a paid tier.

The problem here is that the next step up is waaaaayyyy up. As many others have said, some inexpensive plans between $0 and $120 would likely already have nabbed my credit card. They don't exist, so haven't.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Anybody besides me wonder why the chat was grayed out forcing us to join this email thread? Ocasionally I use more than 100 mb out of my 5.5 GB, and and if I used sync for the whole amount daily I seriously doubt it would cost DB more than a few pennies a month and devices not  used for anything with DB cost them "0". Why all of a sudden in secret announce this change after the fact did the think 1 person might upgrade  so they can alienate thousands and help their competition  grow their businesses. Poking a lion is never a good thing so this ill will is doing the tons more harm than a blowing up this community support. Do the DB decision makers enjoy walking around in a cow pasture just to see what the can step in? I doubt it so why do it?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Is Dropbox going bust? This seems like a really desperate action and makes it totally uncompetitive. 

I've been there since the beginning, but the writing's on the wall it seems - I'm now moving anything I need out to pastures new. 

Bye Guys - sad you have no time for old customers. I hope the customers who remain treat you with the same degree of loyalty. 

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

Guys, this thread is full of people who are suggesting reasonable approaches for pricing and stuff. Can we please keep the discussion focused on that?

I have been a free user for about 10 years myself. There is no right to free stuff, and complaining madly after getting years of service completely free of charge would be childish.

We should be thankful to Dropbox for years of free service although understandably it's a bit sad that there are no decent paid plans.

Instead of being furious and wanting free stuff, let's see if Dropbox can come up with some suitably sized tiers, smaller than the massive 1TB which nobody uses.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?