cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Explorer | Level 4

We know we have no "right" to free stuff, but we do have a right to be treated with respect. The reason so many people are writing in is that they received with absolutley no notice an email telling them that their terms of service were changed. If you get home tonight and you have an email from your electricity supplier telling you that you can only use three appliances or the fuses will blow would you complain? 

This is not primarily an issue of pricing (although I stand by my comment that Dropbox is now non-competetive) it is about simple good manners. Any sucessful business manager will telll you that if you treat your customers like trash you are doomed to failure - end of. Of maybe you have a different insight into the the business world. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

doesn't help me when i swap phones this month , i may just use onedrive on my Samsung 3 drives is a joke I've bought people to Dropbox as i have 9gb from sign-ups and i run a it company and install it as it wasn't bad ... now 2 minds i'll just untick it from the ninite installer i create for each pc 

no extra value for 1tb as i've said unlike others  and costs more ...hmmm i wonder why the sales for packages isn't as good also a lot of people don't need or want 1tb , 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

some of it is NOT FREE as we bought others to them ..so we worked on dropbox behalf to bring people, and got paid with storage so i say its not all free, but then again i can just use my 50gb free on mega and stop as I said installing Dropbox on my clients build 

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

@BristolPete  ha scritto:

The reason so many people are writing in is that they received with absolutley no notice an email telling them that their terms of service were changed.

Understandable. It was not nice, I also don't like it, but they can do whatever they want. We are using a service which we do not pay, so we play by the rules of sombody else.

If you get home tonight and you have an email from your electricity supplier telling you that you can only use three appliances or the fuses will blow would you complain? 

Of course, because I pay for electricity.

Any sucessful business manager will telll you that if you treat your customers like trash you are doomed to failure

I don't know about you, but I've never been a Dropbox customer. I am a freeloader who has used this service for a decade, encouraging other people to use for free. Seriously, there is not much I can complain about, except the way they handled this situation.

Now if Dropbox wants I might become a customer, but they have to provide a decent plan. Unfortunately, most US companies I've seen around only target other companies by offering absurd plans that range from a minimum of 5 to 10 USD per month.

Seriously, what private person pays that much for every service? If companies want more customers, they should also offer plans for personal use.

I've seen some people bragging about "bringing people" to Dropbox. Yeah sure, me too. I've brought several people who use Dropbox for free, who then brought other people who use it for free. I've earned Dropbox a lot of freeloaders and not even one paying user.

Seriously who uses the paid Dropbox plans right now? I only personally know of one instance and it's a mid-sized company, not an individual.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is bad.  I just found out today about this change in the terms for basic account users.  This came with no warning; just an email today to say that I cannot add - or change - any devices on my Dropbox account.

I have become used to Dropbox, I use it for just the most important files, and I don't need more than the 6.75 GB I have built up on the basic account.

Yes, the first 2GB was free, but the other 4.75GB I have EARNED through doing stuff for Dropbox's benefit, at Dropbox's request.

If I were to 'upgrade' to a pricey account that has far more storage than I will ever need, how do I know that the terms of THAT account will not be unilaterlly changed by Dropbox to force me to upgrade again?

The whole point of trusting a data storage company with my data is defeated if I cannot rely on them to maintain a stable environment in which to store my data.

I think you have made a mistake here Dropbox, and I wish you would reconsider.  At the very least I think you should offer an account with a lower GB limit, and a correspondingly lower monthly fee.

All your Basic Account users by definition have rather low data storage requirements, so what makes you think that they will upgrade to an account that offers hundreds of times more data than they need, for a fee that is many times what they would need to pay elsewhere?

I also use Dropbox to sync files with a collaborator.  If I leave Dropbox we will both have to find another service provider to replace that functionality.

I COULD try to work things so that I can live with just three synched devices, but that would also involve some work, and possibly some expense too, and how do I know you are not going to change the terms in a year's time in some other way, e.g. by taking away some of my (earned!) data allowance, or by reducing the number of synched devices to two?

It's a matter of trust: serice providers do not normally reduce their offering for existing users.  If you can do it once, you could do it again. I need a data storage sollution I can rely on.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

The device limit of 3 is not the only thing people need to know about Dropbox watch a Youtube video by Steve Dotto here very enlightening                                                                             

[external link removed by moderation according to our Community Guidelines]

Highlighted

Re: Feature Request - Please increase device limit for free user from 3 to 5/6 at the least

Helpful | Level 6

> Please increase device limit for free user from 3 to 5 at the least

Asking for only 5 misses the point. Most of us have WAY more than 5...and to get down to 5 to add one new one, would be impractical and counterproductive to why we have grown to use and recommend others to use DB.

And, it misses the challenge that on one PHYSICAL device, there may be multiple apps that need authorizing that can no longer be authorized.

I started using my current iPhone 8 in November...so it is amoung the 20 devices. But, I just discoved yesterday that I had not authorized VR7 (Voice Record 7) and had challenges trying to get an audio file from my phone to my school computer. I ended up emailing it to myself, no bid deal, but then got the suprising email that my Drobox was not limited to 3.  SMH.

Highlighted

Re: Feature Request - Please increase device limit for free user from 3 to 5/6 at the least

Helpful | Level 6

Ironically, the DB Support Website just asked for feedback. Here is what I replied:

A. Grandfather in existing users to keep unlimited devices.
B. Or, at the very least, put the number at a MUCH more realistic number of 10.
C. Or, provide a price tier that allows us to reasonably buy more connections with a nominal amount of space.

As it is, this is terrible news...and most certainly not going to end well for a product I have lived by for many years and recommended to hundreds...hopefully some of which have become commercial users for you all.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Not sure why you think your experience is universally applicable to all. I know quite a few people who use the Plus version, including some I was probably responsible for. Dropbox has a free version for the same reason any business has a free version - to increase penetration of its product, for advertising, and to convert a proportion of free users into paying customers. As with any "free to try" business model, the minority of customers paying the bills makes up for the freeloaders.

Having said that, Dropbox has fallen behind the curve with its free service, and frankly its paid service too in terms of cost, but it makes up for it in being reliable, simple and well-known. This simplicity and reliability is why I still use them, but limiting account activation to three devices pushes them even further behind the curve. Combined with a frankly quite rude email informing us of the change, and they might find their market share being eroded. Not straight away of course, because paying users aren't affected by this in the slightest, but it's a gamble to underestimate the importance of the freeloaders to the success of your product.

Of course it's their service and they can do what they like with freeloaders, but I know it's personally made me less likely to upgrade to their Plus account. I've been on the verge of upgrading for several months now, but the hope that they might introduce a more competitive "casual paid user" option has kept my finger from the pay button. Instead I now have half a dozen tabs open trying to decide whether to jump ship.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox's priorities and desired userbase have radically changed and that's not a new development. Like the Linux limitation last year, this is clearly meant to push out people they no longer value as users. 3 instead of 5 or 10 is a feature, not a bug. That's fine, it's their business, we can go elsewhere.

Two things though:

1) Crippling plans and/or supported platforms rather than just end of lifing is really a dubious strategy. I'd be less upset if I were honestly told a couple months in advance that they don't want to do the free thing anymore and I should move elsewhere.

Or that they won't be supporting Linux anymore period, not that I have to change to this very specific setup to keep it working when the change itself puts the writing on the wall about future support even for that.

2) That brings up the worst part: the lack of effective advance notification really is terrible and spreads a lot of ill-will. I will not assume that a company that treats free users that way won't treat paid users that way and will have to recommend against Dropbox in the future.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?