cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Reinstalling Dropbox. Now I'm limited to 3 devices.

Helpful | Level 7

Depending on the details of your needs, it might not be as easy. For instance, very view sync services are truely cross platform; Linux especially is supported by few (though also used by few users...)

Also, many details of the Dropbox client are superior: Prioritization of small uploads (such that that one larger file doesn't stall the synchronization of your work documents), how sync conflcits are handled (e.g. Spideroak just silently discards the version that has been changed earlier), avoidance of redundant uploads due to differential synchronization, local sync for devices in the same network, ...

It is easy to start relying on such features, even if the storage needs aren't large. Hence an entry-level tier that unlocks more than three devices without awkward workarounds would be appreciated over "just change providers".

Highlighted

3 device limitation

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

Are there signs that the free version limitation to 3 devices will be removed?

Just wanted to ask before moving everything to O365.

Thanks
Roger

Highlighted

Re: 3 device limitation

Helpful | Level 7
Zero indication it'll ever be removed, changed or whatever. Move away...
Highlighted

Re: 3 device limitation

Helpful | Level 5

Speaking of that, is there a way to actually get official feedback from Dropbox (apart form here that is, and no further official reply seems coming here)? 'Contact Support' seems to be more intended for technical support.

Highlighted

policy

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
I don't have a question just a comment. I don't know when the policy changed(recently I think) but now that I am limited to 3 connections without paying $120 per year is making me move away from drop box. There are many other options with more flexibility than Dropbox. It is sad because I have used it for at least 9 years and I like it. It will cause me some grief but I can't see spending that kind of $$ for a 4th device. It seams odd they picked three devices since most everyone has a home desktop, a mobile phone, Ipad or similar and office computer. Oh well I must move on. If they ever add the 4th device to basic I be back.
Highlighted

Re: policy

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
As another victim of this policy, I moved over to Box recently and haven’t looked back. I’ll take my time migrating all my DB content over and I’m in no rush, but Box gives me what I need without these device restrictions.
Highlighted

Bye!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Just wanted to tell you that thanks to your unfortunate, ridiculous and lousy decision to restrict the use of Dropbox to a maximum of 3 devices, I have decided to give a chance go another cloud storage app and I am not going back to Dropbox.

Please fire the retards who supported that decision because they obviously screwed up. Anyone smart enough would have stopped that considering the competition that you have now.

Bye bye bye :D
Highlighted

Re: Only 3 Iphone or Imac allowed

Helpful | Level 5

You wrote this: please note that those you had previously linked prior to March 2019 will remain connected.

I sent you 4 e-mail about my previous ownership of 5 accounts.

The answers I got each time is that you cannot do anything about that. So I lost 2 important accounts. Thanks

Since then, I advised all of my fellow employes (1987) in the city where I work to consider switching to Google Drive.

Highlighted

Re: Bye!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Wow. Just tried to install Dropbox app to my new MacBook..

Please unlink 22 devices to continue.

Luckily I got 5 gb Onedrive space with Office365 installation

edit: oh, it was actually 1 TB of Onedrive space. 5GB was the Dropbox limit. My mistake

Highlighted

Re: Only 3 Iphone or Imac allowed

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @JohnDoe1983

I understand that you've had a rough experience withthis, but I just wanted to clarify that the limitation for Basic accounts is only in regards to devices.

Your accounts are not deleted, you can still access them from the website, and your active content is still available. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?