Dropbox accounts & billing

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Rif.: Now I can only link 3 devices?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

It's ask for poster! Let him/her see the reality: [external link removed] 😉 [external link removed]. Hmm... There are active promotions [external link removed by moderation as per the Community Guidelinesstill.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I've been a dropbox user since the early days and have a free account which I do use daily.  Its been a great service.  In the early days I refered quite a few people to Dropbox and so benefitted from the addtional space each referal gave me.  So I have a decent sized account for my needs, at around 13.5GB which has served me well over the years.  I only use around 10GB, but could easily get away with a less.

Over the years I have had good service from Dropbox, so I feel like I really should pay something back and I am happy to this.  The new device limit has pushed me into the upgrade as I now have a new device which will fall foul of the new device limit issue.  Which I felt wasn't a problem, as I can see the need to push people towards the paid plans.  So I decided to look at upgrading to a PLUS account.   WOW that was a shock, it would be £96 a year.  REALLY for 10GB of space.  I know its 2TB account but I really do only need the 10GB, ouch!  

I can not justify paying almost £100 just to add one device, I don't plan on taking up any more space than I have been using for the last however many years.    I would gladly pay a much smaller amount for a more limited account at say 25GB, 100GB or even at just the 10GB level.   I may even pay a bit more for a larger account just to pay something extra back,   but close to £100 for my 10GB, not a chance.  

I did nearly do an impulse buy though today, as I stumbled across a Cyber Monday offer code earlier, which offered 50% off.  So it would be £50 a year,  more than I would like to spend especially given year two would be £96 but I did very briefly consider it.  

I made it to the signup page, although for some reason when I selected to upgrade my account, it pushed me to Dropbox Business, which quickly followed by a popup chat window asking if I had any questions about choosing Dropbox Business.   They directed me back to the individual PLUS account signup and also informed me that the offer code must be a fake as you don't have any offers on.  At this point I came to my senses and walked away.

So there was some money there for you today and you turned me away. :(  I can already see from this thread, that its a take it or leave situation and you have no intention of offering lower tiers,  but it is a shame as you really are leaving money on the table. 

I will continue to use my free offering and see what options the future brings elsewhere,  and in the meantime I will manage with this new device not syncing,  but at £96 a year the money will be staying in my pocket. :(

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi CypherUK,

I feel your pain and I'm right there with you.  My storage needs are similar to yours, and I'd be happy to pay for a personal plan that reflected that relatively limited storage use, and some limit on the number of devices.  Dropbox clearly seems to have no interest in personal plans, focusing now on business use.

When this conversation started months ago, I communicated with Dropbox support (to complain about the three-device limit).  The support person offered a workaround--access Dropbox through your web browser.  While that's certainly not as convenient as using the Dropbox app on desktop or mobile devices, it does work and it does get around the three-device limit.

I've been using Google Drive lately and find that it works just fine.  Others here have pointed us to other options, so at least we all have a choice.

John

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

FOLLOW-UP:

Here's post on the Dropbox Blog that might help explain where Dropbox is going and why they show little (or no) interest in us "small guys":

https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/product/-aragon-research-positions-dropbox-in-the-leader-section-of-...

Highlighted

Looking for a Dropbox alternative now that they limit the free account to 3 devices.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I only use the pay side of Dropbox when I travel as I use it to sync home recorded DVR TV shows to my DVR in the RV usually 5-7 months during each year. This year they upgraded my monthly pay account while I was traveling to Alaska and raised the price without giving me a choice which aggravated me enough to think about switching when I got home but instead I just stopped the pay plan again till we head out next year as it was the easiest thing to do.

Today I tried to add my Blueiris machine to my Dropbox and that's when I found out about the new to me 3 device limit. Now I am sufficiently aggravated, enough to find someone that wants my business.

So here I am asking for current recommendations for syncing files between devices. Dropbox has decided they don't want me as a customer anymore. (even though I would be sending them money at least 5 months a year)

Thanks,

Highlighted

Re: Looking for a Dropbox alternative now that they limit the free account to 3 devices.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @TomdeerLolas, thanks for taking the time to drop us a line here sharing your thoughts. 

I’ve moved your post under this thread, as there’s an ongoing discussion on the topic & we're gathering all the feedback other Community members like you have posted us.

I’m also following along, so please let me know if you have more questions for me. 

Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Computer 'user accounts' vs devices

Helpful | Level 6

I was disappointed to discover that the 3-device limit for Dropbox Free counts each 'user account' on a computer (Mac) as a separate 'device'.   

That would make sense in a genuine multiple user scenario (different people using the same computer).   But it works against non-business users who like to set up different 'user accounts' on our machine as a way of focusing on particular tasks. 

A better option (if it's possible) would be for Dropbox to count each computer as only one 'device', as long as there is only one Dropbox account connected to that physical device, and only one 'user' logged in a time. 

That would maintain the '3-device limit', while making it possible for those of us who use different same-computer accounts to work without fuss.

Highlighted

Re: Computer 'user accounts' vs devices

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Steven N., thanks for posting us your feedback here! 

Please note that I’ve moved your post under this conversation as an addition to the topic & so as to keep things neat on the Community. 

Please let me know if there's anything else you may need to ask or add & I'll do my best to touch-base with you here. 

Cheers! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Just another person notifying Dropbox that I'm off after years of being a happy customer, referring friends etc. My iMac recently got a lovely new SDD and when doing a clean reinstall found out that I had to unlink  a number of devices. My device  requirement is 4 (iMac, Macbook, iPad, iPhone), my data requirement is low. 3 devices doesn't work for me, I need to be able to access my critical stuff wherever I am on whatever device I'm using. Off to iCloud. Or Googledrive. Or Onedrive - where for half the price of a DB account I can get Office 365 applications as well...

This can't seriously be a good business decision? 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I'm happy to report that I _think_ I've found a free and/or reasonably priced alternative to Dropbox that supports more than three device or user accounts.

Obviously I'm not going to try to post its name here - but it shouldn't be hard to find if you search for a 'dot com' that deals with 'sync'.

Time will tell if it's as efficient as Dropbox (which I am still very fond of, after many efficient years of use  - and would gladly pay a _reasonable_ fee to keep using).

But given that it has no device/account limits, its free tier is at least as generous, and its paid tier is better value, my hope is that I've found a viable alternative. 

As always, YMMV, IMHO, etc...

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?