Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Computer 'user accounts' vs devices

Collaborator | Level 9
You are free to talk about Sync as much as you like. You just cannot post external links.

I already mentioned several times that I've become a pCloud user and nobody censored my posts. 🙂
Highlighted

Device Limits

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Remove devices limits for existing users or I'm switching to OneDrive, since it already on all my devices
Highlighted

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Explorer | Level 4

WARNING,  WARNING, WARNING

Someone on this forum suggested deleting and re-installing DropBox on my iPad to solve the persistent demand for Office 365 with a basic free account. I did that and lost the right to have my 4 devices. Now I am limited to 3. If you have 20 devices from the past, you are grandfathered in and can keep your 20. But if you detach any device you cannot re install DB unless you are under the 3 limit. Bummer.

Highlighted

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 5
That’s right and I am switching to pCloud even though I pay for it, it’s less than Dropbox and I get what I need.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I posted earlier that the free tier of sync-dot-com has 'no device/account limits'.  That was incorrect.

I later saw on their site that there is in fact a limit of 5.  I couldn't tell if it referred only to free (likely) or to both free and paid.  Also, I'm not sure if they count physical devices, or user accounts (like Dropbox).   But either way, it was enough to solve my problem.

However,  I'm also sticking with Dropbox.  It has some features I like that the others don't have - and it's also the easiest option for a few applications I use that don't require as many activations.

The conclusion:  adding a 2nd 'free' sync solution took care of my dilemma.  But, as others have commented,  if Dropbox had offered a more cost-effective paid tier (with more activations), I would likely have become a paying customer of theirs instead.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for all your feedback everyone! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have to echo all the other comments. This policy change caught me off guard; I didn't know about it until I was setting up the new iPad I got for Christmas.

I understand Dropbox setting the device limit for free accounts and don't begrudge them doing so. However like many others, while I would like to have more storage space what really hits me is the device limit. I use a desktop PC, two laptops, an iPad and an iPhone. I really need five devices for Dropbox to remain useful. I'd be happy paying for 25-50 GB of storage and unlimited devices, but I don't need 2 TB of space for $120/year. My annual subscription to Office 365 costs me less than that, and while it only gives me 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage (more than ample), I also get the MS Office suite.

I would prefer to see a subscription plan option for $1.99 - 4.99/month that gave me somewhere between 50GB - 1 TB storage and unlimited devices. Short of that, I'm looking at moving my daily sync files over to OneDrive.

Highlighted

Re: Three device limit and multiple accounts on the same device

Helpful | Level 5

I'm really disappointed in Dropbox now.  I've referred dozens of paying clients to Dropbox and have close to 100gb of free space on their service now.  

I think a person such as I, which has convinced many of my clients to subscribe to Dropbox, should be allowed to continue using the service I had.  I can understand wanting to change plans going forward, but I shouldn't be penalized because I accidentally log out of DropBox and can no longer log back in without paying!

This is ridiculous and makes me distrust Dropbox in the future, which means I will be migrating to another service as soon as I can, and will no longer be referring anyone to Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

[removed as per our Community Guidelines]

Helpful | Level 5

That’s an appalling response. You might be unhappy but that sort of reply is just uncalled for. I hope you're ashamed, but you're probably not.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?