cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why only 3 devices ? It costs you nothing !

Highlighted

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Explorer | Level 4

@Calion wrote:

@Cloud9 wrote:

Here's a simple solution to this problem. Upgrade (trial or paid) for a short time and add all the devices you want. Then cancel and you're back in business with your original earned storage and all of your devices. Repeat as needed. (Tested and confirmed.)

I was coming on to say just this. Let me reiterate: Subscribe for a month, add as many devices as you want, then unsubscribe. This works even for a free trial of Business. Ya'll are freaking out over essentially nothing. At the very worst, you have to pay $10 each time you want to add a new device or re-add an old device—and that's only if you only do one per month. Dropbox is a business; I hardly mind giving them $10 every year or so.

I tried this with a trial of Business, and it worked flawlessly. This is all I came on to find out, and now (because I tried it myself) I know.

Does anyone know if this still works? I just was given a new computer but I already have Dropbox on more than 3 devices. I have a ton of data on Dropbox (I referred many friends back in the day) and I need access to it on the new machine.

I really want to install Dropbox on the new machine but can't afford $10/month. Has anyone with a Basic account recently tried enrolling in a Pro trial, then adding a device, then exiting the trial? Does that still get the new machine on board with a fully functioning Dropbox?

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Highlighted

Why only 3 devices ? It costs you nothing !

New member | Level 2

Hello everyone,

I have been a very long time drop box user and I have many devices connected to my dropbox. But recently we can have only 3 devices maximum. When I bought a new phone, I had to remove many of my devices to go down to two in order to add my new phone. 

I don't understand why you did such a thing while it cost you absolutely nothing to let us link more devices. It is not like if you had to use more memory space. So, I am asking you to let me use at least 5 devices. If not, I would regretfully be obliged to use another platform like google drive or something else...

That is a very bad thing. Why did you downgrade your service ? Marching toward the future means allowing more and more tech/stuff and not going backward. Maybe you want to go backward in terms of number of users ? You have too many users that you cannot handle so you want to lower that amount ? If that is your aim, I think it is going to work wonderfully. Or is it just greed and a 'smart boy' of yours had that wonderful idea and thought that people would pay for your 'premium' service ? That idea is very stupid and will just be the doom of dropbox...

PS : I used to be a very satisfied user of dropbox and I was advertising for you among all the people I know. But that new way of doing things saddens me a lot and I am affraid that I cannot talk positively about dropbox in the future and you would not get more users through me. And I am sure that will happen to a lot of other users too and no more growth for dropbox then in the long term future, that idea of yours will make dropbox go to the abyss of the web... 

Highlighted

Cost

New member | Level 2

I have been a dropbox customer for many years.  It has been an excellent and useful tool that I have found invaluable.

Unfortunately I must stop using it as it is no longer practical to limit myself to 4 devices.

I can now get all of the functionality that I am using in dropbox from google, including 100 gb of storage, for less than $2 a month compared to the $12 drop box wants for more than 4 devices.

Thank you for many years of great functionality!

Sorry to go.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?