cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message from Dropbox about completing date of birth by 1st September or lose Family Plan Access

Message from Dropbox about completing date of birth by 1st September or lose Family Plan Access

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Does anyone know how to update account details with your date of birth 

the link to the article gives not details how to update your date of birth 

Hi andy, Due to recent regulations, you’ll be required to enter your date of birth starting September 1, 2021 to continue using Dropbox Family.

please can anyone help? 
thank you 

93 Replies 93

Skimble
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I checked with my friends and yes this only appears to affect Family users as none of them have had this message. I'm the only sucker paying for Dropbox for me and my 27-year-old partner.

smotyndu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

1) the help page is f***ing useless as it doesn't tell you how to do it, nor provide a link to enable you to do it

2) I just got a notification by email (presumably the notification email another user was told would come) - it has two links, the first takes me to the (still) useless help page, the second to my account page where I can't see a date-of-birth field

3) are you actually trying to dump paying customers?

Skimble
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm on with a live support agent who is obviously aware of the situation and says they're taking it to email where they'll provide the next steps to resolve this; apparently I'll be able to supply DOBs for me and my partner at the same time and resolve the issue.

craigpay
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've also been on live support. I've demanded escalation to a supervisor and hourly updates, starting 10.30 GMT local time until resolution. I will chase them via chat in 54 mins.

smotyndu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've reached the point where DropBox can either send me an email with a link to add the info or lose my account. I am NOT wasting any more of my time on them. I was told they' send an email to sort it and I just got links to the same pages which did not allow me to fix it.

I do not send dates of birth (or bank account details etc) through open emails.

Their choice.

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
You cannot supply your partners details
They have to contact Dropbox themselves I’ve already asked this question

I’ve had my support ticket come through but no proper contact yet

I keep getting notifications to input my DOB
This is ridiculous!

Ian Boyle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have just completed this after an hour of frustration and searching.. Went on chat and they confirmed it is a known issue. Requested I upload evidence of Age via a button in the chat. Uploaded my passport and I am now age verified. Several forms of ID are allowable inc. Passport, Drivers licence, Birth Certificate, National ID card.

Hope this helps.

c240amg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same issue as everyone else.

Email received from Dropbox to enter DoB

Click on the links

One leads to the age requirements page

One leads to the dropbox account page WHERE THE HELL IS THE DoB ENTRY!!!

I think it maybe time to move to Google Drive - don't have to deal with this BS

Skimble
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Here's the whole text of my live chat; it looks like the support team has been given inconsistent instructions as well.

Chat transcript:
( 09:20:03 ) Visitor: Hello I cannot input my date of birth but am being told that I need to input my date of birth.
( 09:21:04 ) Rebecca: Hey there! Thank you for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Rebecca, and I will be more than happy to help you right away!
( 09:21:14 ) Rebecca: Sure no worries, I´ll be more than happy to assist you with your date of birth entry right away.
( 09:21:38 ) Rebecca: When logging on to Dropbox.com are you not being prompted? If not, is is possible to send me a screenshot from there please?
( 09:22:46 ) Visitor: File: REDACTED
( 09:22:50 ) Visitor: It goes straight to my files.
( 09:23:06 ) Visitor: Did you mean you want a screenshot of the pre-login page where it asks for my username and password? Surely it wouldn't ask me there?
( 09:23:42 ) Rebecca: Thank you, what I will need to do for you now, is move to email so that I am able to send you instructions regarding any identification that is needed, so that we can input these details for you on your behalf in order to resolve the situation. I can confirm that you account is safe with Dropbox, I realize the email prompt can be a little scary.
( 09:24:06 ) Visitor: It's not just scary, it's incompetent.
( 09:24:35 ) Visitor: It's not your fault personally, but I complained last week that you were sending out scare emails about this with no way of providing the required information and was told to just wait until now.
( 09:24:50 ) Rebecca: I completely understand your frustration with this, new Government laws that have come into place have prompted this change.
( 09:25:06 ) Visitor: Dropbox should have provided a method to give this informatioas soon as that first wave of communication was issued.
( 09:25:37 ) Visitor: It's not the government's fault that Dropbox hasn't implemented a competent solution to collect the information.
( 09:25:42 ) Rebecca: I will of course, be following up with an email to you. Replying there will reach me directly, and I will be sure to make your frustration known to Dropbox regarding this change also and the lack of instructions.
( 09:26:43 ) Visitor: I'm very disgruntled about this. I've had a Dropbox account for 12 years.
( 09:26:55 ) Visitor: The only way I could be under 16 is if I had started it at the age of 4.
( 09:27:26 ) Visitor: But I understand the need to collect the explicit date of birth to comply with legislation.
( 09:27:48 ) Visitor: What I don't understand is how a company that I trust with gigabytes of personal data can't even implement a system to easily and accurately collect my date of birth.
( 09:28:08 ) Visitor: Why wasn't this just implmeneted as a new account information field along with my name and email address that I could complete in the settings?
( 09:28:37 ) Visitor: Again, I appreciate that this is not your fault personally, but this is the only route I currently have to vent my frustration.
( 09:28:37 ) Rebecca: I do completely understand your frustration with this, and I will be sure to pass everything on. I do appreciate your patience with this. Before I move to email to help resolve this issue for you. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
( 09:28:53 ) Visitor: This is the only topic that I currently need help with, thank you.
( 09:29:05 ) Rebecca: Ok, thank you. I will send you an email, with the ticket number of our communication and the chat transcript, which you can respond to, should you need further assistance. Replying there will reach me directly.
( 09:29:18 ) Visitor: This is going to affect my partner as well, though, will the steps you send to me be useful in getting his date of birth logged as well?
( 09:30:15 ) Rebecca: Yes, you will be able to add both and we can resolve the issue at the same time for you.
( 09:30:28 ) Rebecca: I do appreciate your patience on this. Thanks for chatting with us today. We would love to hear how easy it was for you to receive the help you needed, via the following one-click rating, after I close the chat. Have a lovely day!
( 09:30:31 ) Visitor: Okay, tank you.
( 09:30:35 ) Rebecca: Thank you.

smotyndu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

They've had at least all the time they've been warning us about it to add a DOB field to account details.

This is not just about time wasting - it has become (fior me at least) a matter of trust in basic competence

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Brandon Squire New member | Level 2
    AllThisnTrvlToo Helpful | Level 6
    Len L.2 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?