cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message from Dropbox about completing date of birth by 1st September or lose Family Plan Access

Message from Dropbox about completing date of birth by 1st September or lose Family Plan Access

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Does anyone know how to update account details with your date of birth 

the link to the article gives not details how to update your date of birth 

Hi andy, Due to recent regulations, you’ll be required to enter your date of birth starting September 1, 2021 to continue using Dropbox Family.

please can anyone help? 
thank you 

93 Replies 93

pjcmerritt
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Working here now, umm, thanks (?) for sorting the issue out.

Appreciate mistakes happen, but your whole approach to this DOB requirement (and slow response when it went wrong) seems very amateurish; who do you have looking after your change management and comms? They haven't done a good job in this instance and are surely costing you your credibility along with your customers (Your competitors caught up a while ago, there are plenty of other cloud storage offerings now).

I've been a customer for over a decade and I now genuinely worry about what else you don't do well internally and whether I should actually trust you with my data.

If by some chance any senior management in Dropbox read this, feel free to reach out to me, I'd love to help you. 

Bill Poster
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Total cockup on so many levels. I think the thing I am most cross about is the fact that a service we found reliable, enjoyable to use and subsequently integrated as a stalwart to our very lives has suddenly and with very little warning, held millions of people over a barrel essentially. It just goes to make you question who you trust - clearly not the people in charge of rolling out this project!

Here is the email I sent just now: *pretty fuming*

<< What an absolute disaster this has been. If we treated our customers like this we would expect to see a significant dent in our profits due to dwindling consumer confidence. I hope lessons are learned from this and those responsible for this crass, ham-fisted fiasco taken to task.

I have used Dropbox for years and highly recommended your service to very many people. How can I now recommend a service which rolls out such ill-considered and bumbling nonsense such as the recent Date of Birth request? I understand that it is a requirement to safeguard certain users and that is not called into question but this has wasted hundreds of thousands of hours of people’s time, and not to mention worry about their valuable data being deleted in 48 hours. If you were a bank looking after my money I would close my account and go elsewhere.

Then, not to have the facility in place to actually carry out the requirement takes cocking-up to a different level; followed a day later by a half-arsed email detailing something about ‘confusion’ serves to placate the situation??!! There was no confusion. We all understood that is has been a nonsense from the word go.

Totally unacceptable and I demand a full explanation and apology from the highest level, which should be the least all your customers deserve for the time and worry this has caused everyone.

I would also like to see some concession for the significant number of hours I have wasted on this (so far).

I look forward to your reply. >>

craigpay
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Hunter no, I'm sorry, but your response doesn't cut it! Your first response in this entire thread is AFTER it's resolved? Has your customer service team received any training whatsoever?

You should have been on this thread from the start posting hourly updates including verbose responses direct from your engineering team, with sensitive information removed, of course: the issue was reported, the issue was identified and logged and escalated internally, code was checked out, updated, pushed back into code repositories, testing teams and sandboxes were re-tasked etc etc.

This attitude displays a complete lack of customer empathy. You just want our revenue.

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After I’ve got myself up off the floor. I complained on my ticket about the awful customer service and debacle amd this is their reply. What a way to treat customers 

Thanks for contacting us.

My name is Sara, I work for the Account Security team with Dropbox, and I will be happy to help you with your request.

From my understanding you are unable to update your date of birth on your Dropbox account, correct?

Thanks for reporting this issue. This issue is now fixed and should be working properly.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Len L.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have emailed support, so here is my email. If I am in error I am glad to hear so. I am a long-time user since the first time it was released. I was asked to confirm my age a few days ago. First time for me and my daughter. Fair enough except for the fact that she has been a user since last year and just joined my family plan a few months ago. Now she has 48 hours to migrate her files out before account deletion.

My email to Support:

I am very disappointed in the recent and frankly recent need to confirm my age as well as my 13-year-old daughter having to confirm her age. I paid for the family plan precisely to support her online learning workflow. We live in Japan. We are US citizens, but due to your policy, she has 48 hours to move the work she has been building there for the last several months into another cloud service we would rather not use.

Some questions before I make a decision about my current subscription:

1. Why now? Why ask me (a user for over a decade!) to confirm my age?
  2. Why does my daughter have to do so three months after she joined my family plan? What sets Dropbox apart from iCloud's requirements (which allows her on my plan)?
  3. Why is 16 the non-US resident requirement?
  4. Would you be satisfied with a VPN workaround for traveling families like us?
  5. Can my daughter's inevitable account deletion be corrected in the next day or so with my consent?

Thank you, I really want to support your service as an educator and start-up entrepreneur working with online learning families, but this will not work with global learners and families operating online. Very sad if we cannot sort this out.

So there it is. I am open to the community giving me advice or helping me understand this. I have evangelized for Dropbox as a happy user for years since the team famously turned down Steve Jobs' offer to buy Dropbox. Maybe it's time to change?

ingvarso
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! I agree. This must be a major mistake from Dropbox, and was really upsetting. I don't know of any rules in my country (Norway) that prevents children for using dropbox, since the children's use of dropbox is entirely the parent's responsibility untill they are 18 years old. 

The other option i see is that the account is transfered to me, and I am the responsible owner of it.

I sendt a similar request to support, and hope they get back quick. 

AllThisnTrvlToo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

HI Len L.2, I totally agree,

The concept of Age Gating by Dropbox seems ill conceived at best, a horrible "gotcha" at worst,  I mean, what are they thinking?  I, like you, have Dropbox Family for our family and my 11 year old's account now has 48 hours to download all... for what reason?  I've also written to them but I reckon the solution will be to associate my own DOB to the account... which of course is what will most will be doing (not truthfully reporting their age), so what, in the end, is the point of all this?  
I'm very disappointed in the waste of my time, that's for sure yet also am hoping they get back to me ASAP to resolve this.  Cheers!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey guys, thank you for posting here! 

Your comments on this feature have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard. I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product. 

Keep in mind that this change happened in order for Dropbox to comply with legal regulations, which isn't something we can change at the moment because it doesn't fall within our scope of control. 

I hope this clarifies. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Tam122
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am a dropbox family plan user. When I logged into dropbox today on a computer that I havent used for a long time, it tells me to enter my birthday so i did what it told me to do, but then I forgot to check the year and I realized I have entered it wrongly to a year that is below dropbox user restriction and I have been told that the account will be locked in 2 days, how do I recover it?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Tam122, how are you today? 

Would it be okay for me to send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Brandon Squire New member | Level 2
    AllThisnTrvlToo Helpful | Level 6
    Len L.2 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?