cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from personal to business

Highlighted

Migrating from personal to business

Explorer | Level 3

Long story short: I started a business a few years ago and used my personal dropbox as the main way to share files. Well, we grew a lot faster than expected and I now have roughly 150 machines out there logged into my dropbox account.

Which means I'm running low on space. Right now, my 1 TB is about 87% full, so I was going to switch to business. My question is this: has anyone done a switch like this, and will it effect my files on all these PCs?

The business would pretty much collapse if the files were deleted / removed / whatever, so this is a big concern. Dropbox has told me nothing bad would happen, but I'm skeptical. Has anyone here done something like this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Migrating from personal to business

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info and sorry for the slight delay in my response @laddie!

As I'd really like to have a further look and probably ask our experts about this I've reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile so we can work on it together. 

Take a look at your email's inbox please and we'll take it from there.

Until we speak again, have a lovely weekend! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @laddie - sorry for the slight delay in my response; how are you today?

As you'll be upgrading your own account there should be no significant changes to your Dropbox files - just keep in mind that if you're going to migrate to a Dropbox for Business Team (the other option would be the individual Professional plan that comes with 2 TB yet I'm not sure about your company's needs so this would be up to you) a re-indexing of your files will take place as your filepaths will change to reflect the Team's name at which point all you'd need to do is let the desktop app sync these changes,

As you know Dropbox Plus is a great way for individuals to control the way they share and keep all their most important stuff safe. Dropbox Plus offers shared folder permissions, Remote Wipe, and 1TB of space.

With Dropbox Professional, you’ll have 2 TB of space, the cross-platform syncing functionality, and user friendly interface of Dropbox Basic and Plus, but with additional features like Showcase, Smart Sync, or Viewer History.

Finally, Dropbox Business is a great option for organizations and teams to collaborate while bringing admin controls to keep company information inside your company. Dropbox Business offers you a variety of additional controls and space options, so you can get on with what you do best.

You can always learn more about our plans here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/plans?trigger=nr

I hope this helps and please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to ask!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm well!

Basically we use Dropbox to sync music to players around the globe. Not all of the music goes to every player (in fact, none of the players have all the music, just a small portion of it).

I just want to make sure that when we make the switch, Dropbox:
a) doesn't try to sync all the files to all the players; b) keep the files that are on the players on there still

Our concern is that it will try to unsync and then resync everything, which would be disasterous for us.

Will it change filepaths locally on each machine? Because that will be disasterous.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

So..... any response?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Yes it will, @laddie

Each of your linked computers will have to sync those changes in order for the transition to the Business plan to be fully complete yet this shouldn't require a long time since your files should practically be there already.

Also, could you please elaborate on what you mean by "players" so I can have a better understanding of your concern here? 

Thanks and happy Monday!

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

They're mini PCs that have music loaded on them -- hence "players". The playback software is pointed at a specific folder in order that autogenerates the playlist. If we change all the file paths, it will basically stop all music from playing worldwide...that's a major major issue.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

What kind of OSes are those machines running on and what type of software are you using to do this @laddie

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Everything is Windows 10. The music software is just foobar.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info and sorry for the slight delay in my response @laddie!

As I'd really like to have a further look and probably ask our experts about this I've reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile so we can work on it together. 

Take a look at your email's inbox please and we'll take it from there.

Until we speak again, have a lovely weekend! 

Walter

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Walter - I did notice the new folder with my business name and the files. However, my personal Dropbox is still there but now has a shortcut checkmark on it. It also does not appear to be syncing anymore. Can I delete that or will something get wrecked?

Nancy

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?