cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving deleted files to an external HD

Moving deleted files to an external HD

walterkinsky
Helpful | Level 5

I used an app that weeds out duplicate files in my Dropbox. I know the files are in my deleted files foilder in Dropbox for 120 days, but I want to move them all to an external hard drive just in case I need one later. Is there a way that I can find Dropbox's deleted files folder in my Finder so that I can drop and drag all these files to an external?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Moving deleted files to an external HD

Mark
Super User II

Hi @walterkinsky

What you want to do is not possible I'm afraid. 

There is now way to get the information from the deleted pages of the website to external drives.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Heli_Guy
Collaborator | Level 8

You can undelete the files in dropbox web interface: https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/recover-deleted-files-folders

Let the dropbox app sync up the files that are restored, after that tou can copy these files to your exgternal hard drive.

walterkinsky
Helpful | Level 5

Won't they just be restored to the same folders they came from? Separating the duplicates out was the whole point to begin with. What I need is to find the deleted files folder in the desktop version in Finder. 

Heli_Guy
Collaborator | Level 8
On the Mac you can find deleted files in the trash bin. You can locate them there. Select the ones you wish to restore, restore them then move them to your drive.

walterkinsky
Helpful | Level 5

How would I move files from the Deleted Files folder on the dropbox website into my computer's trash bin?

Heli_Guy
Collaborator | Level 8

I was confused with what you're seeking to do exactly.

If you want to move deleted files from the Dropbox web portal to the external hard drive, the only way to do that is in the web portal restore them, they'll be restored to their original location in the dropbox folder on your computer, then from there you can move them to the external hard drive.

walterkinsky
Helpful | Level 5

The problem is these files were mixed in among thousands of other files. The point of what I've done so far was to automatically separate them out. If I restore them to where they were, that would defeat the entire purpose. 

I know that Dropbox has a folder attached to my account with all of these deleted files in it, I just want to know how to make that folder visible in my finder so that I can move them all in a batch to my external. 

Heli_Guy
Collaborator | Level 8

I'm not familiar with such a feature. As far as I know, deleted files can be recovered (restored) to their original location (folder) inside the Dropbox folder.

You may contact Dropbox support, perhaps they can guide you with other options for these deleted files: https://www.dropbox.com/support

Mark
Super User II

Hi @walterkinsky

What you want to do is not possible I'm afraid. 

There is now way to get the information from the deleted pages of the website to external drives.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Doug91
New member | Level 2

Your app needs to copy those files to a seperate folder before it deletes them. Then you will have all those files in one folder.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Doug91 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Heli_Guy Collaborator | Level 8
    walterkinsky Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?