cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Multiple entities / multiple DropBoxes?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hello! I'm new to DropBox! I just downloaded the desktop app this evening!

I have a computer (MacOS and a smartphone (Android) and a tablet (iPad).

I just created a (basic) DropBox account. I plan on getting lots of good use out of it. But I have some challenging questions:

1: In addition to my DropBox account, I am also considering opening another (basic) DropBox. The reason? I am also a volunteer for a small, local civic organization. This organization needs a cloud-based file storage solution. The organization has its own e-mail address, separate from mine. I'm wondering how it's possible to have two DropBoxes installed and available on my local machine. I would also like to make the organization's (proposed) DropBox accessible on other people's computers and mobile devices. Can this be done, and, if so, how?

2: Is it possible to make a specific folder (or folders) designated as "public" so that non-members can visit said folder(s) and download files nested there if necessary?

3: Is there an easy way to make a file or folder on DropBox accessible to the public on the internet through a short/tiny URL?

Thanks in advance!

--WA

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Multiple entities / multiple DropBoxes?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi WA, Guy,

Yes, you can setup a team on your account and have a 'work' and 'personal' account on your computer. More information on that in detail here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/9124

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

We have multiple basic dropboxes in our house.  I just want to be able to change the one that is defaulted to on my pc's

You can only have one Dropbox account installed per computer user account. The only way to install another Dropbox account is to first unlink the current Dropbox account and then link to the new account.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have indeed exactly the same question.

Is there somebody who knows the answer ?

Thanks

Guy

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi WA, Guy,

Yes, you can setup a team on your account and have a 'work' and 'personal' account on your computer. More information on that in detail here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/9124

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

In files I have a dropbox, dropbox (old) and dropbox(old1). How can I merge these files into one?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

You need to do that yourself with whatever software made the files I'm afraid Steve. Dropbox has no capability to do it for you. 

- - -

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

You can have multiple Dropbox accounts in one computer. You can mix Pro and Free Dropbox without problem.

The only limitation is you need to use one Dropbox account for one single Windows account.

For example. In your Windows computer you can have:

Account 1: Dropbox pro account

Account 2: Dropbox free

Account 3: Dropbox free2

etc.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I'm probably being thick but cant see back past the last few answers in this thread.

We have multiple basic dropboxes in our house.  I just want to be able to change the one that is defaulted to on my pc's

Please can anyone help?

Neil

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

You can only have one Dropbox account installed per computer user account. The only way to install another Dropbox account is to first unlink the current Dropbox account and then link to the new account.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?