Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My Dropbox account is full. Can you help me understand why?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi,
my dropbox is indicated as full but i hardly have any files, if any at all.
Someone shared his media folder with me and it seems like all these files that i can access are added to my volume usage? Is this true?
I thougt, if their dropbox is full i can temporarily add it to my own but it dousn't seem to work that way?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox full???

Super User II
Super User II

it's all a ruse to get you to upgrade

No, it's not. Dropbox does not do this. Did you get this message in an email? If so, it was done in error and you can ignore it. You can also check the status of your account on your Account page. It will show you how much space you're using, and how much space your shared folders are using.

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32
Highlighted

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

True. Shared folders count against each member's quota. Until each member has a full grasp of how it works, I recommend against shared-folder use.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem. I, personally have only used 48MB on a 2.8 GB availability, and have just had a message that my Dropbox is full and that it will no longer synch files. I checked the folders other people shared with me, and they are almost empty. This is so unfair - it's all a ruse to get you to upgrade. I just KNEW that Dropbox was too good to be true and that there was a catch somewhere, which is why I wanted to trial it for a few months first. I am abandoning Dropbox, and signing up with https://mega.co.nz that does not have sneaky tricks like this 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

it's all a ruse to get you to upgrade

No, it's not. Dropbox does not do this. Did you get this message in an email? If so, it was done in error and you can ignore it. You can also check the status of your account on your Account page. It will show you how much space you're using, and how much space your shared folders are using.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Many of those "emails" are scams using faked <from> addresses! To check your actual use use this:

https://www.dropbox.com/account#personal

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Thanks for that feedback Rick M. I guess I over-reacted.

But https://www.dropbox.com/account#personal is also not a good guide as to the status of my account - I invited two friends to join Dropbox. They accepted, and even downloaded the folder (plus files) I needed to share with them (a masters student's final submission) and I have been given no extra MB at all. My account shows "invitation sent" - that's all. 

CD

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

My account shows "invitation sent" - that's all.

Then they did not sign up using the URL that you gave them that had your referrer code in it and just signed up using the website.

I've got 21.9GB of space, the extra ~20GB was gained entirely by referrals.

Highlighted

Also, the invitees must use the same email address to which you sent the invite.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I checked - they signed up using the website. Sigh! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Dropbox keeps telling me it's full. I have basic. I have deleted several files & cleared cache. What more can I do, it won't let me sync my iPhone & keeps telling me that I need to upgrade, also getting emails to upgrade. TYIA

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?