cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dropbox account is full all of a sudden

Dennis R.5 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dear Community members,

I have 6.25 GB of space in my account, 4.25 GB of that is earned space. When I go to my
account—>plan, it’s telling me that I have 1.17 GB of regular files, and 7.45 GB of ‘shared’ files.
So that tells me that I’m using 8.62 GB of space. The DropBox folder in my Dropbox app is telling me that it contains 4.79 GB of files. I’ve never, ever, since I’ve been using DropBox, had this issue. Is this something new? Is this a known issue that is currently being worked on? If so how do I resolve it? How do I get all of the 'shared' files from taking up all that space? See attached jpeg for reference.

Thanks.

Dennis

dropbox-issue.jpg

6 Replies 6

Re: my DropBox is full all of a sudden

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there Dennis - how are you today?

As I can tell from your screenshot, you seem to be on a ( downgraded -or free) team account, not an individual one and you are seeing this error message as you are currently over quota and cannot perform file actions in Dropbox. To leave the team, you will need to get your account back under quota. You can do this in any of the following ways:

1. Upgrade your account through our plans page
  2. Remove any shared folders that put you over quota.
  3. Move files that don't need to sync out of your Dropbox folder. 

Also note that when you leave a team, you will no longer have access to any files in your team folder. If you would like to retain access to files within the folder, you can make a copy before leaving the team.

To then leave the team, click the 'Leave team' button at the top right hand side of this page. This will return your account to an individual, personal account. 

Let me know how this goes please @Dennis R.5!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

I have ALWAYS been on a Dropbox BASIC plan. Except for the several times that I upgraded for one month because I needed additional space. After that I always downgraded back to the Dropbox BASIC plan. I never signed up or changed to a TEAM plan. Unless that means

sharing some folders with various clients, which I have done. If you take a look at the attached jpeg reference, you'll see that I am on the BASIC plan which gives me 2 GB free, plus my earned space of 4.25 GB for a total of 6.25 GB of free space. Also, as you can see, my Dropbox folder currently only contains 4.7 GB of files which is under my free space of 6.25 GB. What can you tell me about this?

When I hit the Dropbox icon in the upper right menu on the desktop, it indicated that it was 'indexing'? What does that mean?

Thanks.

Dennis

dropbox-issue.jpg

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

I think I neglected to hit the 'reply to your answer' button so my reply to you is posted as a general reply. Please go to the discussion to view.

Thanks.

Dennis

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update and helpful screenshots Dennis. 

Note that I don't know how this might have happened but judging from your first screenshot, you're a part of a team account - maybe there lies the discrepancy you notice. Have you gone through all of your current files within your Files tab while on our website?

Let me know what you find and note that as this would require account specific information, it would be better to move it to email, if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance for your next response and cooperation so far.

Walter

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

I was finally able to figure out how to remove my 'team' status. I opened the Admin console in the left hand column of the page and was able to 'remove DRP team' which converted my account back to a personal account and I am now well under my 6.25 GB of free space.

This was kind of convoluted and stressful but I saved all the different moves to get to the resolution so, if it happens again in the future

I will know what to do.

Thanks again.

Dennis

dropbox-issue-solution.jpg

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad you managed to resolve this Dennis and thanks for sharing your troubleshooting process as well.

Thank you for using Dropbox and if you ever come up with a Dropbox question, let us know! Have a lovely week ahead too @Dennis R.5

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?