cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account got deleted and a somebody else owns all of my files now

Highlighted

My account got deleted and a somebody else owns all of my files now

New member | Level 2

So I don't have ver much information here because I don't 100% understand what happened but here is as much as I know.

I connected my DropBox account to a team/business account as usual to be able to share a folder -- the guy that was in charge of that account downgraded his business plan and it somehow deleted my personal account, and moved all my folders to his account for him to access. I tried to log into my account and it was missing and I ended up remaking this account to at least get access to them again. What is going on and how do I fix it?

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: My account got deleted and a somebody else owns all of my files now

Dropboxer

Hi @CoachingDR; welcome to the Dropbox Community and sorry to hear about this.

From what I gather, you must have accepted an invitation to join a Dropbox for Business teams account and upon accepting the invite, you chose to join the team with your existing account rather than creating a new one to join with another email address of yours - am I on the right track? 

If that's the case indeed, it sounds like the team's admin disbanded the team upon downgrading and they also deleted your account during (or prior to) that process instead of converting your account back to an individual one. 

As the relevant Help Center article outlines, if a Dropbox Business admin accidentally deleted a team member, they have seven days to restore the user. In your case, it sounds like it's been more than a week this took place so you were able to create a new account with the email address that you used in the past.

If I'm correct in my assumptions here, your best bet would be to reach out to the person who was your team's admin then and ask them for your files; the ones you had upon joining the team at that time that is. 

I hope this makes sense and I'm always around for any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?