cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account has been hacked, and also infected with ransomware, please help

Highlighted

My account has been hacked, and also infected with ransomware, please help

New member | Level 2

My Dropbox account was hacked and I received a ransomware email last night.  I have logged on and changed my password.  I haven't used dropbox in several years but the files I have on the account are very confidential.  It's IMPOSSIBLE to get to a live person with dropbox.  I need to know if the hackers were able to obtain my documents??  Also, i read that 68 million Dropbox accounts were hacked 3 years ago.  Is this a new breach or residual of the one 3 years ago?  If from 3 years ago, why was I not notified then?

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: My account has been hacked, and also infected with ransomware, please help

Dropboxer

Hi @kool_kat was hacked, thanks for posting in the Community.

I’m sorry to hear about this. I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

You can do this by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link.

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to enter the same email you use to login to Dropbox, assuming you’re still able to access your emails.

They should be able to handle it from there on. Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

My Dropbox Account Was Hacked

New member | Level 2

My acccount was hacked and I need help confirming the ISP of who accessed two particular files and folders.  How can I actually contact someone with Dropbox about this?

JD

Highlighted

Re: My Dropbox Account Was Hacked

Dropboxer

Hey @John David, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about this. 

I've moved your post to this thread where Jay mentions how to get in touch with our Support team regarding this. 

You can also find some additional info on what you can do if you think your account was hacked in this article

If there's anything else we can do to help, let us know. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: My Dropbox Account Was Hacked

New member | Level 2

I hope you receive a better response than I did.  I was told to change my password and don't share it.  Ridiculous. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?