cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My account has plenty of space but it's saying I need more before allowing me to access a shared folder

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

hi there, I've been cleaning out space and have plenty to accept a new folder and it's not letting me, also there are other people who've shared things with me that I no longer need but I can't delete because the folders belong to them but it's taking up my own space, this is very frustrating, I just want to access the new shared folder, and I have plenty of space and I really wish you had customer service I could speak to, to resolve it. It makes me really not want to pay for for more storage in addition to the fact I don't need it, because I don't like paying for services that have no customer service

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: My account has plenty of space but it's saying I need more before allowing me to access a shared folder

Super User II
Super User II

Basically the shared folder is still larger than you have free.

If you no longer need access to the other shares leave them at www.dropbox.com/share and then delete the folders.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: My account has plenty of space but it's saying I need more before allowing me to access a shared folder

Super User II
Super User II

Basically the shared folder is still larger than you have free.

If you no longer need access to the other shares leave them at www.dropbox.com/share and then delete the folders.

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Use either "selective sync" to not have certain folders on your computer, OR "leave membership" of shared-folders you no longer require.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I don't see anything saying "selective sync", there is a lot in each folder, that is shared by others, that I don't need

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The only options I see in sharing are to delete an entire person who has shared something with me, not selective files

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I tried moving selective files I don't need out of the larger ones I do, and that worked, but then when I go to 'sharing' they're lumped back in with the ones they were in before, they don't show up separately so I can selectively delete them

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Selective Sync only removes them from your local computer Rick. It doesn't remove them from your Dropbox account.

The folders you no longer need access to leave, as I said, at www.dropbox.com/share by clicking on OPTIONS near the name

- - -

Highlighted

right click on icon; under gear pull down "preferences" ; on the "account" tab use "selective sync"....

sigh!

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Just to reaffirm what Mark has stated, Selective Sync will not do anything for you in this case. Using Selective Sync to remove folders locally will not free up space in your account.

Once again the information Rick has provided is incorrect.

Highlighted

After you "selective sync' or unsync, you can then delete those files yet they stay in the dropbox cloud.

Rich gets off on insulting me, which is fine, but the problem is he fails again and again to help people.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?