cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account was closed, can I get my files?

Highlighted

My account was closed, can I get my files?

New member | Level 2

I was just informed that my account was closed due to inactivity. Is there any way to retrieve the files?

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

How can I keep an account active?

New member | Level 2

I received an email telling me that my account would be cancelled due to lack of use. The email address indicated in the email is not the email I have an account under. I clicked on verify account and it took me to the account I do use with a different email address. Although I am not a heavy user, I do use it every now and then. I do not want to lose that one that I use. What can I do? David

Highlighted

My account has been deleted without notice

New member | Level 2

Hello, I just received an email from Dropbox saying that my account has been deleted for inactivity, but I didn't get any notice before.
I'm ok with closing my account but I should be able to backup everything.
In the support section there are no options to contact Dropbox...
What's going on? Can they restore my stuff so that I can back it up?

Highlighted

Login after receive email my account will be deleted

New member | Level 2

I received an email that my account haven’t login for a year and y account will be deleted. I login to my account immediately. Will my account be deleted? Thank you

Highlighted

Re: account closed?

Dropboxer

Hi @aviva1, thanks for messaging today!

If the account was closed for that reason, you might have a small window to login to the account.

Try doing so and let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Closed account notification

New member | Level 2
I received the below email about my account being closed. However, I was able to sign into my account. Does this mean my account will remain open? Is there a way to make sure it’s not closed?

“We’ve noticed you haven’t used your Dropbox account in over one year and have closed your account for you. Devices connected to this account have now stopped syncing. Any remaining files in your account will be subject to deletion.”
Highlighted

Account closed but I logged in right away

New member | Level 2

I just received an email that the Dropbox Team closed my account due to inactivity and my files were subject to deletion. I still want to keep my account or at least retrieve my files so I logged in to my Dropbox account right away after seeing the email. I could still login and access my files, just wondering does this login reset the 12-month clock or is my account still going to be closed soon?

Highlighted

Re: Account validation

Dropboxer

Hi @daviddanceman, thanks for posting today!

Assuming this message you received is from one of the official Dropbox domains, then the email shown in the message means you have another account associated with Dropbox.

Perhaps the message was routed to your inbox via forwarding rules, or some other reason.

To keep an account active, you need to login into it more than once within 12 months.

Let me know what you find out!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: My account has been deleted without notice

Dropboxer

Hi @RiccioFix, thanks for posting today!

Generally, emails would have been sent to your account prior to the date the account was deactivated. Most likely they went to junk/spam folder, which is why you didn't see them.

Are you able to login to the account now? If so, you should be able to download the files needed to your machine.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Highlighted

Re: Login after receive email my account will be deleted

Dropboxer

Hi @kitty, thanks for messaging today!

If you logged into the same account you received the notification about, then it should remain active.

Provided you login to the account more than once within 12 months, your Dropbox account will remain active.

Hope this helps!

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?