cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account was deleted by dropbox due to inactivity – can I get my files back?

Highlighted

My account was deleted by dropbox due to inactivity – can I get my files back?

New member | Level 2

I received an email 90 days ago saying my account would be deleted, but forgot to log in. I just received an email saying my account had been deleted. Is there any way to recover it? I can't find an email address or phone number to speak to a real person. Any advice is much appreciated!!

157 Replies 157
Highlighted

Re: My account was deleted by dropbox due to inactivity – can I get my files back?

Super User II

You can try signing into the account to see if it still exists. If you're unable to, then the account and all data within it has been deleted and cannot be recovered.

Highlighted

Get back data from deleted account

New member | Level 2

Hi team, is it possible to get back data from a deleted account in dropbox? Please help me, I just realized my account was deleted in 2017, I really need to get back the data :(

Highlighted

Deleted account

New member | Level 2
I just got an email telling me my account is being deleted. How do I recover my account?
Highlighted

Account closed - unable to log in

New member | Level 2

My dropbox account that was linked to an inactive email was used, and I was unaware that this Dropbox account was going to be deleted. By the time I saw the email, it had already been deleted. I need to recover these files as they are very important. I couldn't sign in to the account as I forgot the password, and password reset does not work since I did not receive anything in my email. Please help!

Highlighted

Assistance recovering a closed account

New member | Level 2

Dear Dropbox Customer Service, I am addressing you regarding my closed Dropbox account.

Unfortunately, I have not been using the Email address associated with my Dropbox account for quite some time and therefore wasn't aware of my account being de-activated.

My account contained many important business-related files, as well as items with a lot of sentimental value (photos, etc.). Since I am now banned from accessing my account, I would be extremely grateful if any part of my items could be restored. I am aware of the fact that files in closed accounts are subject to deletion and yet hope that you may employ an effort in order to help me restore my dear belongings.

The Email associated with that the said account is [email removed by moderator]

Thank you in advance for any assistance possible,

Noa

Highlighted

Re: Account closed - unable to log in

Super User II

If the account was already deleted due to inactivity, then I'm afraid there's no way to recover it. Also, if you don't have access to the email address associated with the account, and you don't know the password, there would be no way to access the account even if it hadn't been deleted.

Highlighted

Re: Deleted account

Super User II

@KatieW wrote:
I just got an email telling me my account is being deleted. How do I recover my account?

Refer to the following help article:

Highlighted

Re: Get back data from deleted account

Super User II

@miyaminhh wrote:

Hi team, is it possible to get back data from a deleted account in dropbox? Please help me, I just realized my account was deleted in 2017, I really need to get back the data :(

No, I'm afraid that won't be possible. Once an account has been deleted, all data within the acocunt is deleted with it.

Highlighted

Re: Assistance recovering a closed account

Super User II

If the account has already been deleted, then I'm afraid there's nothing to be done. Once an account has been deleted, all data within the account is deleted as well, and cannot be recovered.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?