cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account was deleted

Highlighted
New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi community, 

I've had a dropbox account for almost 10 years now. Last year I was added to a team account. My Dropbox stayed the exact same as it always was i had my folders and one of them was our team folder with wich I was able to access our teams dropbox. Last week we decided to delet the team account. Yesterday I wanted to access my personal Dropbox and my private data, just to get the notice that my account was delteted. 

How is this even possible? Most of those folders were private with my personal business receipts and documents where no one but me had access to. How can anyone delet those without my permission? Even if my private account was connected with the team account (what I don't think) but even then this would be insane. 

I'd be super glad for any tipps!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: My account was deleted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Quick update. We finally managed to reactivate my private account after reactivating our former team account and sepperating the two from each other. I'm super glad this worked and I certainly will not save any real important data on Dropbox anymore. I know, that was my fault of course!

But I still have to say that it is insane and maybe even a GDPR issue that a team admin can even delete my private account without my permission. Even worse is that while deleting my private account a admin can delete my private folders and data without even knowing what he's deleting since those folders can be private of course. This is insane, maybe I'm naiv but this is certainly not what I expect from a company like Dropbox in terms of data security. Because that also means that people can delete your account intentionally as well and if they're not willing to help you reactivate it, there's just no chance for you to get your data back. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @mnachtschatt, thanks for posting on the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Could you clarify if the Dropbox account was a member of the team itself, so the team folder was visible inside that account?

How long has it been since you weren't able to access the account?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for reaching out. 

Yes the Dropbox account was a member of the team itself but has also been a seperate account several years prior to that. The teamfolder was visible inside the account jsut like all other private folders that are now gone. 

I got an email saying that the admin deleted the team folder on Saturday Septemeber 19th. Since then I haven't been able to log in anymore only receiving the message that my account was deleted. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

It sounds like the team admin completely deleted your account, since you were in the Dropbox Business team. You can try and ask them to reactivate your account, as it was deleted within the last 7 days.

Afterwards, you can ask them to convert your account back to a personal account away from the team.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Quick update. We finally managed to reactivate my private account after reactivating our former team account and sepperating the two from each other. I'm super glad this worked and I certainly will not save any real important data on Dropbox anymore. I know, that was my fault of course!

But I still have to say that it is insane and maybe even a GDPR issue that a team admin can even delete my private account without my permission. Even worse is that while deleting my private account a admin can delete my private folders and data without even knowing what he's deleting since those folders can be private of course. This is insane, maybe I'm naiv but this is certainly not what I expect from a company like Dropbox in terms of data security. Because that also means that people can delete your account intentionally as well and if they're not willing to help you reactivate it, there's just no chance for you to get your data back. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

by mistake I deleted an account a business is using for which I just started to work for. 

Would you be able to help me, how could I possibly recover this account? I am about to get a heart attack.

Thank you in advance!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Eliz2, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about this. 

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, could you let me know if:

• Your account was a personal (Basic/Plus/Professional) one, or if it was part of a Dropbox Business team? 
  • You personally deleted the account by following these steps

Keep us posted!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?