Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My storage was cut from 5GB to 2.75GB this weekend. What?

Jim R.32 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Came back from the holiday weekend to find that Dropbox cut my space from 5GB to 2.75GB and now I'm "out of space." What is going on? I have work to do today and instead am forced to deal with this. Help would be appreciated.

Jim

31 Replies 31

Re: My storage was cut from 5GB to 2.75GB this weekend. What?

Super User II
Super User II

More than likely you've had some promotional space that has expired (though I don't know which promotion would only have 2GB). It may show you what that space was on your account page. Click the View all space earned link.

If that doesn't show it, then you'll need to contact Support.

New member | Level 1

Thanks Rich. I have no idea what promotion that would be. No information on my account page. Pretty awful service if that is the case -- no warning, simply cut my space in half without warning. I've been very happy with Dropbox until now, but looks like I'll need to switch to another option. Don't know what they have done to my account and can't justify paying their high prices (compared to other services) when they arbitrarily cancel my storage. Oh well, all things come to an end I guess.

Super User II
Super User II

As I said, contact Support to find out what happened. It likely wasn't done without reason.

New member | Level 1

I'll definitely do that. My search for support kept dropping me in this forum, which is the only reason I started here. I'm sure I just missed the link to talk with Dropbox directly.

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

The way to contact is  https://www.dropbox.com/support

Ben R. New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Is there a way to confirm any message receipt/response from support?

I've reached out several times to them in the past six months and have yet heard a single response.

Beyond my (expired August 2015) HTC promo, I also earned 11+ GB of additional space from my referrals, according to my account-settings page.

Although there are no more files that haven't been permanently deleted... DB keeps acting like I'm out of space.

I've been super patient, I assure you. It seemed like such a simple problem to resolve... but now I must turn to the forums for guidance!

Super User II
Super User II

Ben - deleted files do not use your quota, hence, deleting files will not alter your available storage. 

You can also track tickets at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ben R. New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Thanks, Mark. I'll look into the Zdesk.

To be blunt, this sentence of yours kind of confuses me:

"deleted files do not use your quota, hence, deleting files will not alter your available storage."

Does this mean that once a 1GB file is stored on a basic 2GB DB account, then at some point permanently deleted... the basic-account user will still only (and permanently) have 1GB of foreseeable space to use?

That doesn't make a lot of sense, if that's what you mean. I mean, why is there an option to either delete or permanently delete, if not to directly affect one's quota?

I appreciate the hasty response, but could you clarify a little more, or maybe link me to a source of this policy so I can read through it?

Super User II
Super User II

No, that's not what it means. It means that if you have a 2 GB account that has a 1GB file in it, and you delete that file (not permanently delete... just delete), you will have 2GB of available space.

Deleted files do not count against your available storage space.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?