cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery Charge

Highlighted
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I did not authorize any charges on my card bc i do not actively use dropbox anymore but was billed 199.00 USD via Paypal in July for some mysterious thing but i am not able to talk to a human unless i "upgrade my account" because I'm not paying for a plan. This is absolutely ridiculous and is driving me nuts. I'm out of work due to the virus and can't just throw away 200 bucks for no reason at all.

Customer service bot is an absolute time waste that just makes me more and more furious every time it comes back with some nonsensical answer to my simple question: what was this payment for.

I can't imagine dropbox offloading the responsibility of this to other users is going to bear much fruit but here we are - fingers crossed...

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Mystery Charge

Super User II

@not-psyched wrote:

I did not authorize any charges on my card bc i do not actively use dropbox anymore

Did you previously have a paid account? When you no longer needed it, did you cancel your subscription? If not, that's why you were charged. Dropbox is an automatically renewing subscription service, much like a magazine or streaming service, that needs to be canceled in order to prevent future charges. When you sign up for a paid subscription, you're authorizing Dropbox to automatically charge you on each renewal date until you cancel.

... i am not able to talk to a human unless i "upgrade my account" because I'm not paying for a plan.

As this is an account related issue, you'll need to contact Dropbox Suport directly. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?