cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to change email address on file

Need to change email address on file

baxson53
New member | Level 2

Need to change my email address on file with dropbox, which is currently <<removed>> The email address is GONE, therefore, I cannot log into my account b/c it still has the incorrect email address.

I need it to be changed to <<removed for safety>>

Thank you,

Elizabeth Axson

4 Replies 4

Re: Need to change email address on file

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @baxson53,

In your situation, to do something, there are 2 mandatory requirements. Your old email address must be already verified (at the time when it has been active still). For an account without verified currently set email address, the same can't be changed to another email address. The other requirement is to be able to login your account (somehow). Non authorized person can't access the account, what about change something in the settings (of course, would be strange and insecure otherwise).

To log in your Dropbox account, you don't need active email address. If you can recall your currently set email (as seems to be, doesn't matter if inaccessible) and the password (and other authentication data, if any), you can login - no problem. If you have forgotten your password, but still have a linked mobile device to your account, usage of the feature "Connect a computer" in the mobile device settings could grant you access. Here "computer" is not mandatory be a real computer; you can use any device (including mobile) with installed supported web browser. If there is no way to gain access, ... there is no way!

If you can't change your email, for some reason, the only way would be create new account using desired email and move all your data there. Take in mind that the new email, you want to set to the existing account, must not be assigned Dropbox account yet; otherwise gonna fail!

Hope this clarify matter. Good luck!

baxson53
New member | Level 2

Thank you very much.

I really haven't used Dropbox at all but want to learn how to use it.  So if I have to create another account, I won't lose anything.  I'll use your suggestions and appreciate your response.

Mark
Super User II

@baxson53 are you logged in somewhere? If so make sure you download everything first!!

If you get to a point where you cannot log in to the account for a password issue the account is permanently lost. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@baxson53 wrote:
...  So if I have to create another account, I won't lose anything.  ...

Take care, I haven't said exactly this! To keep you data you need access to your old account, if you don't keep backup in some other way; otherwise everything will be lost!

Of course, if you have access to the account, even without successful email change, the data could be transferred using sharing for example.

@Mark, data might be transferred without download! While there is access everything is in safe. 😉 ... From other side, yes Dropbox isn't the most secure cloud place on the net, so...

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    Mark Super User II
    baxson53 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?