cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to obliterate my personal account

Highlighted

Need to obliterate my personal account

New member | Level 2

When I restored a backup to a new computer a couple of weeks ago, something get really messed up in Dropbox. I had a personal account and a client had added me to their business account.  I wasn't crazy about the way the UI in dropbix separates these two accounts, but I was reasonably comfortable that info wasn't visible across the lines. 

After the restore, however, my client called and asked if I meant to share a couple of files. They were from my personal account that I use to store some of my WIP from work with other clients, so obviously the answer is no. Turns out it put dozens of my personal files on their business site. BTW, I don't see how this could be user error because I did nothing to dropbox during the restore.

I know how to make these files visible only to me, but I have to go through them one by one. I just want to obliterate my personal account and start over. Is there a way to do this that will also remove these files from my client's business account as well?

Right now, I just happy I don't work in healthcare and that my client isn't the nosy type.

MJ

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Need to obliterate my personal account

Dropboxer
Hey @MJAdams, thanks for checking in with us; I understand your concern & I’ll do my best to further advise you on that! 

For starters MJ, let me briefly note that upon joining a Dropbox for Business team, it’s best to choose to Keep the Business account (& content) separate from your personal one if you’ve stored sensitive content there, as your admin has got full access to it as long as you’re part of the team.

Now, I’m afraid that I couldn’t say what could have caused the mix-up with the misplaced files (that’s because I can’t access any account-related specifics here), however you could ask your admin to disconnect your account from the team through their admin console that should prevent that from re-occurring moving forward. 

Hopefully this is helpful to you & please do keep me updated if you have any follow-up questions or I’ve misunderstood your initial inquiry in any way. Thanks!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?