cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No option for alternative 2FA on iOS

No option for alternative 2FA on iOS

David B.37
Explorer | Level 4

My phone was stolen, so I bought a new phone. I installed the Dropbox app, and I'm trying to log in. I know the username and password, but my account is set up with two-factor authentication (2FA), and I can't generate a 6-digit code without my old phone, which was stolen. However, I have my backup codes from when I set up 2FA, and Dropbox's support articles also indicate that you can auth from a different device connected to your account. (Indeed, I authed from my computer's Dropbox app when I logged into this forum! No 2FA device needed!)

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the iOS offers any option for alternative 2FA, not even the ability to use one of the backup codes. How do I set up my new phone to with Dropbox?

6 Replies 6

Re: No option for alternative 2FA on iOS

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @David B.37; thanks for posting on our Community and I'm sorry to hear about your stolen device. 

Based on your description, I'm assuming that you used the steps mentioned in this Help Center article; right? 

In that case, as you managed to regain access to your account, I'd suggest disabling the two-step authentication feature so you can use the mobile app as desired. 

From there, you should be able to re-enable the two-step authentication to use it with your new mobile device. 

Let me know how it goes, David. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

David B.37
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply, @Walter. I appreciate the advice, but I don't want to disable 2FA on my account if I can avoid doing so. I should be able to recover my authenticator in a few days, once I return home from my trip.

It sounds like you're saying that the iOS app does not support any of the alternative 2FA methods mentioned in the Help Center article that you linked to. Is that correct? If that's the case, I'd like to file a bug report, regarding the contents of that Help Center article. It should be updated to specifically point out that alternative 2FA is not possible on the iOS app, and ideally suggest alternative solutions, such as your advice here.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me on this one David.

I appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback on this while I'd suggest posting it on our 'Share an Idea' section as well so other users can vote on it as well and provide their own thoughts about it: 

Let me know if you have anything else to add or ask, I'll be happy to follow up. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Update 2FA help article to indicate that alternative 2FA is not possible on iOS app

David B.37
Explorer | Level 4

I'd like to file a bug report, regarding the contents of this Help Center article about 2FA (two-factor authentication). It should be updated to specifically point out that alternative 2FA is not possible on the iOS app, and ideally suggest alternative solutions, such as turning off 2FA.

I'm posting this suggestion in response to @Walter's suggestion on this forum thread.

David B.37
Explorer | Level 4

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thank you for reporting your feedback on this @David B.37!

I've made sure to pass this along to the team on your behalf, I understand how this would be very useful to note in the Help Center article.

If you have any other comments regarding this, or other feedback you'd like to pass along, please feel free to give me a nudge here.

Hope you have a lovely rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    David B.37 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?