cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No password security signing in through Google

Highlighted

No password security signing in through Google

Explorer | Level 3

Anyone on my phone can sign into my Dropbox through Google, using the Dropbox app on my phone. There's no password protection and I tried to remedy this with no success. Anyone can get into my Dropbox account with my phone if the opportunity presents itself. I do have password protection, of course, when I sign in on the Dropbox website. Is there any way to password protect when signing in through Google? If not I'll have to uninstall the Dropbox app.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: No password security signing in through Google

Dropboxer

Hi @_a1v22_, thanks for reaching out to us. 

In general, after signing in on your mobile app, unless you sign out, you shouldn't be prompted to sign back in again. 

However, you can set a passcode so that every time you launch or return to the mobile app, you'll be required to enter a four digit code.

Let me know if this helps or if you'd like something more specific. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Anyone who accesses my phone can access Dropbox, and I can't add the security code to the app.

Explorer | Level 3

Anyone access to your phone can access your Dropbox account through Google or Dropbox app. They can download the app if it isn't on your phone already.

I tried implementing the code which would work the same as two security questions but it kept defaulting back to the off position, when I would

The only way around this is for Dropbox to have two security questions first and then you can sign in with Google. Can you do this or something similar. Thx

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @_a1v22_!

I've just moved your post to your previous thread that you opened for this issue.

Having the app installed on your phone won't allow access to your account via the Chrome/web browsers on your mobile device. You can access your account through the web there as you've signed into Dropbox there previously.

If you don't want to have your account accessed via the website, please sign out of Dropbox on your web browser (this won't sign you out of the mobile app).

For the issue you're having applying the passcode, can you try reinstalling the mobile app and let me know if that does the trick?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Thanks everybody for replying. I reenstalled the Dropbox app and it doesn't remedy the situation.

I'm not sure if everybody understands the security holes in Dropbox. Even if I remove the Dropbox app, anyone who gets access to my phone, (there are a lot of muggings in my area lately, they're taking phones) if already opened, can download the Dropbox app and get into my account because when the app is opened, it says Sign Into My account. I sign in through my Google account and I'm brought right up to my Dropbox files! This is what I mean. Where's all the security in Dropbox if anyone with the opportunity to do so will have an open invitation to my Dropbox.

Also, if attempting to log on to Dropbox in a slightly different way anyone can simply change the password or tap on Try Another Way which will get them to my account.

The same problem is with Google Drive. Except, I can't remove it. It's permanently installed.

I'm not a techy person but it seems all this linkage between Google and all different apps and software is not secured by the developers. I have a similar problem with Adobe Scan. They had me make up a username and password, but by default, I'm logged into Adobe Scan through Google. So what good is the password?!?!?!?
I think anyone can log into the Adobe Cloud through Google with no password. I have to look at that more closely.

The way to solve this is two Dropbox security questions to permit Dropbox people to log into Dropbox or two security questions to log into Drive.

If there's no remedy to this major security flaw I'll have to ditch Dropbox and download another cloud app. I don't use Drive anymore. It's no big deal.

Thanks everybody anyway for your help, if there's no solutions you can provide.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @_a1v22_; how are you today?

I'm sorry to jump in here, but have you considered using our 2 step authentication feature which adds an extra layer of security to your account?

That said, in case you mobile device gets stolen, you'll be able to track it as Dropbox logs your device’s last known IP address which can be used to discover the login location and the internet provider used. This information is accessible from the Dropbox website: https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

You'll also be able to unlink the stolen device from there to turn off syncing to and from that device and prevent unauthorized changes to your Dropbox account.

For your concerns about Google Drive, it's best that you reached out to Google directly as they'll be able to assist further. 

I hope this helps! 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?