cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough space on computer

Not enough space on computer

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I really like the convenience of the dropbox app and I understand that to enjoy this feature my dropbox files must take room on my computer's storage as well. However, is there a way for some files on my dropbox to NOT be stored on my computer and consequently be un-viewable through the dropbox app? I bought the pro version simply to keep a backup of a large folder with my important files, but when I copied it to my dropbox folder I got the message saying I don't have enough space on my computer. Is there a way for me to upload this folder to my dropbox without having it copied on my computer? I don't mind not being able to view it through the app. The only solution that comes to mind is to have two accounts, one with the app that I use for everyday stuff like sharing. And the other being a pro account with my backup folder for which I won't have on my computer. But now that I have only one account with all my shared folders plus the pro version, I would like to know if there is a way. Thank you!

13 Replies 13

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It'll get faster when it moves on to larger files (4mb+) as below that each file needs individually hash checking and Dropbox uploads in 4mb blocks. It is also dependent upon your own ISP speed (and possibly any throttling from them).

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Crotonmark
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have 75mb upload speeds

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
That doesnt mean it isnt being throttled. It also doesnt mean that the files are large enough as I said to speed things up.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Crotonmark
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
True but this doesn't sound viable for 500gb
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Crotonmark Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?