Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Not working for me. What am I not understanding?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a laptop and a desktop machine. I have a file I want to save in a folder on Dropbox. I copy it directly from my desktop on the desktop machine to the  Dropbox folder on my desktop machine. It copies correctly. But I do not want it stored locally on either the laptop or the desktop (because it takes up scarce space). But, if I do decide to access it I want to be able to do so from either machine at will from the Desktop website.. 

Everything I try seems to not work. I know this cannot be that difficult. Your help is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Not working for me. What am I not understanding?

Super User II
Super User II

I'm afraid you are misunderstanding how Dropbox works. 

Dropbox ONLY works on files/folders that are inside of the Dropbox folder. So to sync you have to have it in that folder which will take up space. If you dont want to use the Dropbox folder simply uninstall Dropbox off your machines and upload/download via the website. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

I'm afraid you are misunderstanding how Dropbox works. 

Dropbox ONLY works on files/folders that are inside of the Dropbox folder. So to sync you have to have it in that folder which will take up space. If you dont want to use the Dropbox folder simply uninstall Dropbox off your machines and upload/download via the website. 

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you. The biggest issue with loading from the website is that I cannot simply drag folders with the internal hierarchy I want. It will only let me re-do the setup manually. Am I doing something wrong or is that a limitation of your program?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Not my program, I dont work for Dropbox. 

And its a limitation on the internet in general I'm afraid. It isnt just Dropbox that won't let you do that.

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

So, let me go a bit further. If I load files and folder to the dropbox folder on computer A do they have to show up on the dropbox folder of computer B? Thereby taking up space on 2 computers and in the "cloud". My goal is to use the "cloud" as an offline storage point. With the ability to download as needed. Is that out of the realm of this and all these programs?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

No, you can set up Selective Sync on folders on computers so that they either disappear from your main PC (once uploaded - make sure thats happened first!!) or to stop them appearing on other machines. 

www.dropbox.com/help/175

- - -

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?