cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

One computer, multiple local users

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a DropBox basic account for many years. I recently had to re-install/upgrade the OS on my home computer. This computer is used by me and my wife. We each have a local account on the computer along with an administrator level account used to setup and install programs.

The issue I am running into is that even through it is just one device, DropBox is considering each local user to be a device! Any ideas? All users use the same Dropbox folder.

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: One computer, multiple local users

Super User II
Super User II

@dschlic1 wrote:

The issue I am running into is that even through it is just one device, DropBox is considering each local user to be a device! Any ideas? All users use the same Dropbox folder.

Think of it more like installations, rather than devices. If you sync the same Dropbox account to more than one local user account, it's considered multiple devices. You might consider separate Dropbox accounts as well, and share a folder between then for any files that both you and your wife need access to.

Highlighted

Re: One computer, multiple local users

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @dschlic1,

Yes, the statement that limitation is for 3 device is a mistake (not to say a lie). Actually, limitation is for 3 connections, doesn't matter on same or on different devices. When you run Dropbox application on different contexts (local accounts), everyone context make its own connection. That's where your problem comes from. There is not one solution suitable for all possible cases (Dropbox just tries force you pay, that's it). You can use just one local account to access your Dropbox account or use different Dropbox account for every one local account, if total connections number exceeds 3 and share needed content.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?