cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying bill for deceased person to avoid deletion of files on Plus account

Paying bill for deceased person to avoid deletion of files on Plus account

BrianBrichs
New member | Level 2

My friend passed away and I know he holds +1tb of files on his account.

Since accessing phone/laptop may or may not be easy his father has received a notion that the bill has not been payed.

I need to pay that bill so the account wont be deleted while figuring out legal matters and access and such.

I have seen the guide on how to apply for access but the account may be deleted before any form can reach the address, since Dropbox a cloud service, doesn't offer this option online.

5 Replies 5

Re: Paying bill for deceased person to avoid deletion of files on Plus account

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @BrianBrichs; welcome to our Community and sorry about your loss.

I appreciate your feedback on this, but I'm afraid in cases like this one you'll need to follow the steps outlined in the relevant documentation

Let me know if you have any questions, Brian.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BrianBrichs1
Explorer | Level 4
Hello Walter
Thank you for getting back to me on this and thank you.
The issue in hand is that the account may end up being deleted before the access can be granted - I don’t know the policy on how long files are kept after not paying a bill and since there seem to be no way to ask Dropbox directly in order to take care of the specific case I am at a loss. Any way to delay the process or to take care of a bill in order to make time?

Rich
Super User II

@BrianBrichs1 wrote:
The issue in hand is that the account may end up being deleted before the access can be granted - I don’t know the policy on how long files are kept after not paying a bill ...

The account won't be deleted for lack of payment. At most, it will be downgraded to Basic (a free account). Syncing wouldn't be possible if the account is over quota, but the neither the account nor the files within would be deleted. The account would need to be idle for a year before it and the files within are deleted.

BrianBrichs1
Explorer | Level 4
Hello Rich
Thank you for replying. When you say downgraded and I say +1tb of files, what happens to the extreme amount surpassing the 5gb or whatever a basic account holds? Is it still kept but unaccessable or unsyncable or how would you say?

Rich
Super User II

@BrianBrichs1 wrote:
... what happens to the extreme amount surpassing the 5gb or whatever a basic account holds? Is it still kept but unaccessable or unsyncable or how would you say?

The files won't be deleted. The account would no longer sync changes to/from any connected devices, but the account and files would still be accessible.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    BrianBrichs1 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?