cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for Plus through Apple, but limited to three devices.

Paying for Plus through Apple, but limited to three devices.

charlesglorioso
Explorer | Level 3

I have 6 devices, two Iphones, two Ipads, two PCs.

I am paying apple for Plus service.

I uninstalled and reinstalled one Ipad, and keep getting the message  "device limit reached" when I try to log in.

Restoring purchases on another device did not clear the problem.

Ipad is running IOS14.2.

(the reason I uninstalled/installed is that I fell into 14.2 trap of not being able to open password protected files.)

10 Replies 10

Re: Paying for Plus through Apple, but limited to three devices.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @charlesglorioso; thanks for joining our Community!

It sounds like you used an email address that's associated with a Basic account on your iPad. These accounts come with a device limit and not the Plus ones. 

Could you verify if that's the case by taking a look at your account's plan tab and/or your connected devices under your Security tab?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

charlesglorioso
Explorer | Level 3

Nope.  As a clean test, I just started without Dropbox app installed on my Ipad.  I went to App store. Here is a screen shot from the app store that says I have Plus subscription.  (The account tab on my Iphone says I have GB of storage)

[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

I downloaded the Dropbox app from here, and when I went to sign in with Apple using my Apple email and password, got the device limit screen shot.  In the past, I have also tried to sign in from the "sign in" button at the bottom of the screen and gotten the same result.  So, again, Apple says I have Plus service, and Dropbox says not.

Charles

IMG_1391.PNGIMG_1394.PNG

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @charlesglorioso,

You have Plus subscription to account associated with your Apple ID, not the email! Seems you have created one more account, email associated Basic account, instead and use it. 😉 That's where the issue comes from.

Hope this helps.

charlesglorioso
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry, I dont understand.  If the Plus account is associated with my Apple ID, why would it not let me log in using my Apple ID?

Здравко

@charlesglorioso wrote:

...  If the Plus account is associated with my Apple ID, why would it not let me log in using my Apple ID?

"it not let me log in using my Apple ID"... 🧐 What you mean? 🤔 Is there some error coming up? ... or might be you just put directly the email, instead using correct option. 😉

Let second try... and be more careful.

charlesglorioso
Explorer | Level 3

If I go to App store, it shows that I have a Plus plan.  See faint "Subscribed" below.

IMG_1391.PNG

When I launch the downloaded Dropbox app I get this screen, giving me a choice to log in with my Apple Id, or with my email.

(My Apple Id and my email are the same ((text string))).

IMG_1395.PNG

When I log in with EITHER path, I get the same screen that says I have reached my limit.  Notice that there is a sign out button in the upper right of the image.  My sign in is successful in either case, but Dropbox doesnt get that I have a Plus plan.

IMG_1396.PNG

I certainly dont want to start another Plus plan since I am already paying for one.  HELP!!

Здравко

@charlesglorioso wrote:

When I launch the downloaded Dropbox app I get this screen, giving me a choice to log in with my Apple Id, or with my email.

(My Apple Id and my email are the same ((text string))).

Hi @charlesglorioso,

Despite literally same "text string" those are 2 different authorization methods! That's why it shouldn't be the same. Anyway...

@charlesglorioso wrote:

When I log in with EITHER path, I get the same screen that says I have reached my limit.  ..., but Dropbox doesnt get that I have a Plus plan.

Hmm... That's sounding really strange! 🤔 I have no more ideas. Let's hope @Walter will give some more.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hey @charlesglorioso; thanks for joining our Community!

It sounds like you used an email address that's associated with a Basic account on your iPad. These accounts come with a device limit and not the Plus plans. 

Could you verify if that's the case by taking a look at your account's plan tab,  and if your device is in the connected devices page under your Security tab?

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

charlesglorioso
Explorer | Level 3

OK.  Some of this is operator error.  On my Iphone, it says I have 29.5 GB of data, but it also says Basic plan, which is barely visible in the attached photo under the word Account.

Tu

IMG_5015.PNG

Turns out the extra GB are from MS when I bought a new Windows PC. (now know that, because I just received an email that I will hae to pay for that memory starting next month). The account also says I only am allowed 3 linked devices.

However, as an experiment, I logged out of Dropbox on my Iphone, and logged back in using the Log in with Apple button shown in images several posts up this thread.  And it still says I have Basic service.  Even though the App store says I am subscribed to Plus. (another image up several posts.)  I only have one Apple ID, and it is the same text string as my email, and it shows up automatically as part of the Apple sign in, and I enter my APPLE account password, not my email pasword, and the next screen implies I am successfully logged in (see above too), but that I have a basic account.  Cancelling my Plus account Now.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?