cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal and work account merged in some way; cannot log into personal any longer

Highlighted

Personal and work account merged in some way; cannot log into personal any longer

New member | Level 2

I linked my work and home accounts. I am now getting messages that I am out of space on my personal account. This is probably because I received a new debit card with a new CCV number, and I need to add the new card details. When I try to update my payment details, I find that can no longer log into my personal account, only my work account. I delinked the accounts in the hope this would fix it. It does not - when I log on with my home email and password, I enter my work account. How can I re-access my personal account?

17 Replies 17
Highlighted

Re: Personal and work account merged in some way; cannot log into personal any longer

Dropboxer

Hey there @rumnraisin,

At first, please bear in mind that each Dropbox account is associated with one email address. This means that your work (Business) account is connected to a different email address that your personal (Basic/Plus/Professional) one. 

If you're not sure what the email address of your Dropbox account is, you can find out from:

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Personal and work account merged in some way; cannot log into personal any longer

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

I know my home (was Plus, currently Basic) Dropbox email and password. I also know my work (Plus) email and password. They are each different. I linked the accounts recently, but when I encountered this problem, I delinked them.

Nevertheless, when I sign in with my home email and password, I end up in my work account. The two emails/passwords do not resemble each other at all.

To clarify: when I sign in with my home email and home password, my account shows my *home* email but my *work* account name. Something seems to have gone wrong during the linking process. As I mentioned before, I have now delinked them but this makes no difference.

Two more things that may help:

1.  I am on an auto-renewing subscription via the Apple App Store. I updated my card number there the other day, but a payment must have failed regardless, perhaps (hence my downgrade). 

2. When I try to re-upgrade my account from Basic to Plus, having signed in with my home email and password (and nevertheless seeing my account called by the name of my work account when I do so), I get a message on the screen that says Dropbox is 'having trouble right now' and to come back later. Something big amiss?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @rumnraisin.

Could you please ensure that you've cancelled the subscription that you originally initiated through your iTunes by following the steps outlined here?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi @Lusil,

When I do this on my iphone, the Dropbox app tells me first that I am on the Basic plan. Then when I tap Upgrade and choose monthly billing, it tells me I am already subscribed to Plus and that my next payment will come out on 26 July. I don't seem to have access to a way to upgrade.

I don't believe I originally signed up to Dropbox on my iphone. I would have signed up using a computer, on the Dropbox website. So I am not sure why I am being billed as if I had signed up originally  via the App store.

I'm not sure where to go from here. My work account [edited: HOME account!] will not currently sync because of this issue.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@rumnraisin wrote:

To clarify: when I sign in with my home email and home password, my account shows my *home* email but my *work* account name. Something seems to have gone wrong during the linking process. As I mentioned before, I have now delinked them but this makes no difference.

Hi @rumnraisin,

What You mean "my *home* email but my *work* account name"? Important things about account identification are the username (associated email, in fact) and password You set. Nothing more! In addition, one name is used as a label, but only as a label for Your own use. You can set this label to whatever You want (including doubling other labels) and isn't part of the account identification! If I have to bet, You have set some work related name as a label erroneously. In such a case, just rename (set other 'Name' label) Your home account to something more appropriate (distinguishable).

Be careful, where (are) You log(ged) in, while application (re)linking!

Hope this helps to some extent.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi @Здравко,

I mean that when I log in with my 'home' email and password, I usually see 'Hi rumnraisin' or something like that, because Dropbox has taken its greeting for me from the details about my name that I gave when signing up for my personal account.  Let's call my work 'Organisation A'. When I log in iwth my 'work' email and password, I normally see 'Hi Organisation A'. My organisation gave its 'name' to Dropbox as 'Organisation A'.  Now when I log in with my 'home' email and password, I see 'Hi Organisation A'. I have not changed any labels since setting up my home account years ago, and I did not set up the work account and have never changed its label.

Highlighted

Did You check this for sure? As I have noted above, see account info, while sequentially login to Your work and Your home account. Let's to be sure, not to guess!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

@Здравко Yes, for sure.  I've logged in and out several times on more than one computer. I was incredulous as well - it is very surprising.

But it seems that the content is that of my home account. I can only see those work folders that I shared with my home account  - not all work folders.

So there are two separate problems that may or may not be linked:

1. label confusion

2. failure to auto-renew Plus for my home account, and impossibility of re-upgrading due to what the dropbox website calls 'trouble - come back later' and/or what the Dropbox app tells me: you are already subscribed.

Despite the label madness, I know it's a home account problem because my work colleagues are having no problems accessing the work account.

I'm really not sure how to escalate this. Does anyone know?

Highlighted

I admit that English is not my native language. May be, because of this, the explanation isn't clear enough. I will try using little bit more details, step by step.

Ok, let suppose Your work username is something like "rumnraisin@work.com" and You have set a name label "Organisation A". Let suppose Your home username is something like "rumnraisin@blabla.com" and You have set a name label "rumnraisin". On "General" tab in "Personal account" page the second and third fields are name and email, accordingly. No multiple machines are needed. Just sequentially login Dropbox using the work and home email and in both case check the fields noted.

Simple question is: Are the findings (in both cases) match that, what You expect they to be, i.e. while login using "rumnraisin@work.com" and the coresponding password, the fields are "Organisation A" and "rumnraisin@work.com", and while login using "rumnraisin@work.com" and the coresponding password, the fields are "rumnraisin" and "rumnraisin@blabla.com"?

Also something else: Did You ensure what exactly is the email in Preferences->Account->Account linking (only the email, ignore everything else)? Is the email set to "rumnraisin@work.com" or "rumnraisin@blabla.com"?

Something which could also be useful: Are accounts share some folder between? The question is related to why You have seen some work related things within home account.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?