cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number associated with old account?

Phone number associated with old account?

plyzct
New member | Level 2
Hi all,

I have an old Dropbox with some sentimental files that I lost access to as I setup up 2FA then bricked my PC in 2008. I've been intermittently looking into regaining access but, understandably, Dropbox has a zero tolerance policy regarding overriding 2FA.

One method I have seen is getting a code sent to an old mobile phone number but when I look at devices to get a code I can't see my previous number, only a list of previous app install locations (computer/operating system names).

I tried to email to see if my account had my old number associated but was directed here. Can someone look into this for me?
3 Replies 3

Re: Phone number associated with old account?

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @plyzct; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear about this.

If you've tried everything that's outlined in the relevant Help Center article, I'm afraid that we won't be able to help much here.

Did you have the chance to have a look yet? 

Keep us posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

plyzct
New member | Level 2
Thank you for getting back to me, yes I've been through that a couple of times over the years. I raised a ticket again recently and was then directed here.

I suppose I have two questions for the support team:
1. If there is no phone number listed under "sign in with a notification" does that mean there is no phone number linked to my account?
2. If there could still be a number associated with the account is there another way to have a code sent to it?

Obviously I don't know if my mobile number from 2014 is still active or not but I can pursue this if worthwhile.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @plyzct, in general, if a Dropbox account hasn't been accessed for over 12 months, it would be deactivated due to inactivity

In this instance, if you haven't accessed it since 2008, then it most likely isn't possible to regain access to it.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If there's any additional info you need, please let me know.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?