cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Problem to merge two accounts

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello, I want to connect my personal dropbox to my professional one so that I can have access to it from work. I've followed the procedure you explain online except that when I enter my email and password used for my personal account, it just says: this email is already taken... I don't know what's wrong/what to do.. Thank you for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Problem to merge two accounts

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Heloise!

If you’re trying to connect a personal with a work Dropbox account, during which step of the process are you seeing this message? More info, as well as a screenshot of the error (omitting any personal info) would be very helpful in having a better understanding of your concern.

Thanks in advance! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Heloise!

If you’re trying to connect a personal with a work Dropbox account, during which step of the process are you seeing this message? More info, as well as a screenshot of the error (omitting any personal info) would be very helpful in having a better understanding of your concern.

Thanks in advance! 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello Lusil!

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

i actually solved the issue just after posting this message...sorry I was not too awake..

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

And how did you solve this, Heloise?

I have also unfortunately two accounts, registered to different emails, and would like to combine both in one, which would recognize both emails as legitimate.

Please advise!

Michael

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there @mtuvin!

If you’re trying to connect two Dropbox accounts (an account with a Business plan and another account under a Basic/Plus/Professional subscription), then check this article out. 

If you’re trying to merge the two account together, I’d kindly recommend having a look at this link with more info and steps on how you can achieve that. 

If I’ve misunderstood your concern, let me know!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to achieve the opposite, Lusil - currently I have two accounts, one associated with my gmail, another with my work email.

I don't care about the content of the one of the accounts - gmail (I believe there is just an old file or two). As a matter of fact, the current content is ok to lose completely in both of them.

What I care about - is to have just one account, but associated with both emails.

Would you know what to do to achieve this?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying your concern on this, @mtuvin

Having two emails associated with one account is currently not an option, I’m afraid. Nonetheless, I’d kindly recommend having a look at secondary emails

Do bear in mind that although you can have both a primary and secondary email(s) on your account, your primary email is the main one connected with your account and the secondary email can be used in case people send you a shared file/folder/Paper doc invite to that email address. 

I hope this helped to some extent. 

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Perhaps the best option for me would be to close one account for good. Is it possible?

Then, I could add that (now accountless) email to my main account.

What do you think, Lusil?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hmm, if I were in your shoes I’d consider a couple of scenarios. For all intents and purposes, let’s assume account A is associated with email A and account B associated with email B. 

Scenario 1:

@mtuvin wrote:

Perhaps the best option for me would be to close one account for good. Is it possible?

If you want to delete account B and keep A, upon deleting it, email B should be available to be added as a secondary email to account A. 

Do bear in mind though that the secondary email is available as long as the account that you keep is subscribed under a Dropbox Plus/Professional/Business plan. If you’re not sure about which plan you have on your account(s), just navigate to your Plan tab. 

Scenario 2:

Instead of deleting any of the two accounts (A or B), you can change email B with another email address that you may have. 

That way, you can use B as a secondary email to account A (as long as it meets the prerequisites mentioned above and in the link) and have both accounts (A and B) available. 

I hope this helped, @mtuvin. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Lusil

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue, but in the settings of my Dropbox Business account, there is no option to add a secondary email, only to "Connnect your personal Dropbox".

(Ideally, I would want to transfer my account as described here: "https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/join-team-existing-user", however, I have not encountered that option in the process, so I have decided to go for "Scenario" 1 or 2 above. )

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?