cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public links have been suspended

Highlighted

Public links have been suspended

Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

I received an email from dropbox 

"This email is an automated notification from Dropbox that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic.

Upgrade your Dropbox today to increase the total amount of traffic that all of your links and file requests together can generate.

Upgrade your Dropbox!

For more information on suspended links, please visit the Help Center. If this is your first suspension, you may remove the suspension by visiting your account page."

I did visit my account page but nothing happened. Bann is still here. For how long will it be and how can i remove the ban?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: public links have been suspended

Problem solved. After 24 hours everything has returned to normal. All links work, paper works, transfer works, showcase works.

My experience is that Dropbox has to fix some issues:
1. Paper should have not been dead for the 24hour period.
2. Dropbox should have left files being viewed and simply prevent download or upload of files. 
3. Having a pro accound i am terryfied at the event that next time my whole work will be gone dead for 48hours. They have to give us information on bandwith limit and then proceed to such extreme punishment. 

And a question. Is there a time period after i will drop again to 24 hour ban or even after 5 years (if it happens again) i will have to wait for 48 hours?

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25
Highlighted

Super User II

A first-time ban for a bandwidth overage is usually 24 hours, with each subsequent ban lasting longer. It's also possible that the ban is for a reason other than a bandwidth overage, in which case you'll need to contact Support directly.

Highlighted

In my case can i be sure that excessive traffic is the reason?

Also it says that if i visit my dropbox acount (which i did as it is my first time) i can remove the suspension.

I did that but nothing happened. 

Also another problem is that dropbox support are closed now so i will have to wait until monday to sort it out.

Another problem is that i cant either access paper.

Highlighted

Super User II

Only Dropbox Support can confirm if it was a bandwidth overage or another cause. It could be a DMCA violation, virus or malware detected, or any number of other reasons. Unfortunately, if the option to remove the suspension is not available on your account page, you'll need to wait for a response from Support.

Highlighted

Where in the account page should i look for the removal of the suspension
Highlighted

Super User II

@harrysfil wrote:
Where in the account page should i look for the removal of the suspension

I don't know the exact location as it's been a long time since I've seen a screenshot of it shown on the page. I do know that it would be obvious. If you're not seeing it, it's not there. You'll need to contact Support for assistance.

Highlighted

when someone views (no download or upload) a file eg. a video from a link i made does this count towards bandwidth limit?

Highlighted

Super User II

Yes. They're viewing the video and using bandwidth.

Highlighted

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/banned-links

Dropbox here only says about download and uploload that counts towards bandwith. I am little confused. Also Dropbox should let us know our daily bandwith as box does.

Highlighted

Super User II

You can't view a file on the Internet without it being downloaded to your browser. That's simply how the Internet works.

Dropbox doesn't display your current bandwidth usage, and likely never will. Basic (free) accounts get 20 GB of bandwidth per day, while Plus, Professional, and Business accounts get 200 GB per day.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?