cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received email about signing in to keep account active, but last activity was days ago?

Highlighted

Received email about signing in to keep account active, but last activity was days ago?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I just received an email supposedly from Dropbox.com reminding me to sign in to my account because "it's been a while" since I last logged in, but I actually very recently did so to update my 2FA (within the week). I also updated files in my Dropbox a few days ago. Is this email legit or was this a phishing attempt? I didn't click any links in the email just to be safe and signed in directly through the website. If it was an official email, was it possibly made in error? My account is active as I use it regularly and it definitely hasn't been "a while" since I signed in. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks and stay safe!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I got an email with the subject "Sign in to keep your Dropbox active", but I am quite

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi all; thanks for your reports and patience so far.

I checked back on this internally and I can confirm it's a legit email sent by us.

I apologize to any of you who received this email in error and if you have logged in recently, I'd suggest ignoring this email.

I hope this helps! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

40 Replies 40
Highlighted

Re: Received email about signing in to keep account active, but last activity was days ago?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I also received this email but actively use my Dropbox on a regular basis and my account is active?

Highlighted

Re: Received email about signing in to keep account active, but last activity was days ago?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
I got that email too and literally used my dropbox a few hours ago. I use it constantly.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same thing here.  I use my account daily.  The link attached to the button looks legit but I'm not going to click it.

Highlighted

email - saying i haven't used dropbox in a awhile and to 'sign in' (link in email)

Helpful | Level 6

it seems to come from a valid email. But i use dropbox EVERY DAY.  heck, i synced photos just a few hours ago.  yet i got this email. is this phishing spam? or. real? or error in dropbox servers?  I manually went to dropbox.com and made sure i'm signed in (i am)

thanks in advance;

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 2.58.00 PM.jpg

email copied below

from

no-reply@dropbox.com

Pic of sloth (ruuude)

"

Hi (redacted),
We noticed you haven’t used Dropbox in a while. To keep your account active and your files up-to-date, just sign in.
Sign in to Dropbox
Here are some ways to use Dropbox:
Back up your files—like photos and important docs—to keep them stored safely.
Download Dropbox on your devices to access files from wherever you are.
Send larger files and folders to clients and friends with Dropbox Transfer—even if they don’t use Dropbox.
Out of storage space? No problem. We’ll give you an additional 250 MB for free once you complete a few steps.
Dropbox, Inc.
PO Box 77767, San Francisco, CA 94107
View Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe"
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Same here - Got the e-mail - use dropbox daily - and not going to click any links even though it looks pretty legit.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I just received the same emaill just a few minutes ago. I am using dropbox daily. I think it's a phishing scam. I'm just going to ignore the email.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Same here.
Highlighted

Email to log in to my account to keep it active when I am already logged in

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a personal Dropbox account which I use many times daily. I use it mostly via the Dropbox client under Windows 10, but I do occasionally use it via the web interface.

I received an email from Dropbox that I had to log into my Dropbox account in order to keep my account active. This concerned me, so I immediately opened a new tab and went to dropbox.com. I found that I was already considered logged in and did not need to enter my account credentials.

So given that I use Dropbox to access files many times daily, and given that I was logged in to the web site recently enough that I did not need to log in again, why would Dropbox send this email? When is up with my account?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Looks like they sent this out as a blast. I'm betting they did not discriminate as to who got it (those who haven't logged on and those of us who log on all the time). Hopefully just a technical mistake and not a cynical marketing ploy to get people with free accounts to upgrade to a paid account.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?