cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received email showing someone opened a Dropbox account with another of my email addresses

Received email showing someone opened a Dropbox account with another of my email addresses

Catherwood
Explorer | Level 3

This morning I received Email messages from Dropbox at another of my addresses. The 1st asked me to Verify my Email address with a click button connecting to https://www.dropbox.com/l/random letters. 5 minutes later I received a 2nd message: Dropbox bonus space received! Hi Colin, You've successfully linked your HP device to Dropbox! We've awarded your account with 25 GB of bonus space for the next 12 months. and a 3rd message saying: Your Dropbox is lonely. Add files to your Dropbox.

These messages came into an Apple Email address I have that is not associated with Dropbox in any way. Also my name is Chuck, not Colin. And I don't have an HP device.

I have not used Dropbox for several months. My account is a different address that where these messages came in. 

I had a difficult time on the Dropbox site finding where to report this possible fraud. 

Hope someone at Dropbox sees this notice to cancel or verify this problem.

Thanks,

Chuck

3 Replies 3

Re: Received email showing someone opened a Dropbox account with another of my email addresses

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Catherwood, thanks for posting on the Dropbox Community. 

Could you check if the emails came in from one of our official domains

Have a look and let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Received email showing someone opened a Dropbox account with another of my email addresses

Catherwood
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Checking the return address from the emails show they all came from no-reply@dropbox.com. The Verify Your Email click button in the email shows they go to https://www.dropbox.com/l/<random letters>. 

I appreciate your help and am concerned someone else is using my email address to get an account with Dropbox.

Chuck

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking on that @Catherwood!

It may be that they made a mistake in the email address when creating the account, which just happened to be your email.

If you're concerned about the account, I could suggest deleting the account yourself by signing into it and following these steps.

Since you are the owner of the email address, you can request a password reset for the account, so that you can sign in, from here.

Just to be on the safe side, I would avoid clicking any of the links within the emails you received, and navigate directly to the Dropbox website to take these actions.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?