cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Deleted Account

Nick B.
New member | Level 1

Is there anyway to recover an account that has been deleted?

38 Replies 38

Jonas Ö.1
New member | Level 1

That happened to me too, everything is gone! Hate it.
This is a serious problem that dropbox has to fix. No one except me may delete my account!

Richard P.
Super User alumni

The moment you accept the Business invite and go through the (pretty obvious) process of converting the account to a Business one, the account is no longer yours.  During the process, you are given the option of transferring your personal files to a new account, but the moment you complete the process its no longer your account.

There is nothing to fix imho.

Brian M.33
New member | Level 1

When I made the account at work it was pretty obvious I was making a work or business account.  That's about it from the "pretty obvious" standpoint.

When I made my account at home I never once converted it to a "business" through a "business invite". I don't even know what that would look like if I wanted to. I may have used my work email as a BACKUP to my primary.  That is in no way a "pretty obvious" way of making it a business account or having any desire to link the two accounts together.

Jonas Ö.1
New member | Level 1

It was NOT obvious that I would lose controll of my account when I was invited to dropbox buisness. I assumed that it would be the same thing as when someone invite me to shares a folder in Dropbox basic, that I would have access to a shared folder.

That should be a big warning that demonstrates that I now abandon all control over my account! My private account! So stupid of DROPBOX to do like this!

Do not understand why they have built up in this way, it is illogical that someone else to take over control of my private account!

I have been in contact with dropbox support and they say that there is a possibility to recover the deleted account and files. However not got it restored yet, but I'm will nag on until they do it!

Leila P.
New member | Level 1

So what's the solution to get the account back when a business account accidentally deletes your pro account? The business deleted my account and when they invited me back to try to get my files back my folder wasn't there. I have emailed support about 8 times in 10 days and I haven't gotten any response. 

Mark
Super User II

First off, you need to stop contacting support Leila - every time you are you move yourself to the back of the queue. Close additional ones at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

Secondly, it maybe worth asking the Business Admin to call support on your behalf. Remember you (when you followed the on-boarding prompts) gave your account to the Business (it does tell you this) so if they didnt have it in the first place it couldnt have been deleted. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

robert c.46
New member | Level 1

I have accidently lost my folder :

Under :

dropbox

Robert Chua

in these folder got 3 subfolders

could you please help me to recover them

Thanks

Robert chua

Kristina M.6
New member | Level 1

An account got link to a business account, and then the admin deleted it, is there a way to get it back? How come anyone is able to delete my account, without any information? 

Richard P.
Super User alumni

An account got link to a business account, and then the admin deleted it, is there a way to get it back?

You need to get the admin of the Business account to contact support to have it reinstated.

How come anyone is able to delete my account, without any information? 

When you accepted the Business invite, you gave control of the account away to the Business admin - the onboarding process is quite explicit about this, its no longer your account, and you are asked if you want to create a new personal account to move your own files to.

Kristina M.6
New member | Level 1

ok, so it won't be gone? it will be restored?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    brainy New member | Level 2
    Little S.1 Helpful | Level 5
    Toni B.1 New member | Level 1
    Brian M.33 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?