cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing stored files

Highlighted

Reducing stored files

New member | Level 2

I have 9.5GB of storage on my free Dropbox account. Last week I  approached that limit (over 8.7 GB) so I moved a large number of files I wasn't actively using to different storage. My computer shows that my Dropbox folder has 5.75 GB in it, but Dropbox shows 9.65 GB (over my limit). Why the discrepancy? Why didn't moving files reduce the storage used?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Reducing stored files

New member | Level 2

I found the issue. I have some shared folders that the other users have added to, but the full files have not been fully synced to my computer. So, the files online are actually larger than the files on my computer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @rlkfromida

Initially, could you please check that the desktop app is running and up to date by locating the Dropbox icon that should be next to your computer’s clock? 

If you don’t see it, then it means that the desktop app isn’t running. In this case, please try manually relaunching it from your applications menu?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Yes the App is up and running (although it now has a red X on it since syncing is suspended as I am over my storage limit). I also compared the files on my computer with those online and they are exactly the same. All of the files that I removed are no longer showing up in my online account, but the amount of storage used went up, not down.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I found the issue. I have some shared folders that the other users have added to, but the full files have not been fully synced to my computer. So, the files online are actually larger than the files on my computer.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @rlkfromida 

Don’t hesitate to get back to us if you have any further questions in the future. In the meantime, have a great day ahead.

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
I have the same issue. I have deleted large files. I have been paying monthly for the upgrade. Now after deleting files my account says I am still
Over the limit.
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Babsygal; welcome to the Community!

Can you please send me a screenshot of the exact error you get and also let me know what is your account's plan tab reporting regarding your plan and quota?

Thanks!

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?