cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Referral incorrectly labeled as "suspicious"

Referral incorrectly labeled as "suspicious"

Cyanotype
Explorer | Level 3

I recently gave a referral to a family member who installed & opened Dropbox on his new Macbook Pro (which didn't have Dropbox on it previously) using the same email address I sent the referral to.  However, both of our accounts show the referral as "ineligible," with the note "This invite looks suspicious! This usually happens if you sign up for multiple accounts on the same computer."  This has happened with colleagues before, and I just shrugged it off.  With this recent referral, my family member mentioned that he uses a VPN, which sometimes causes issues for him, and my colleague who had earlier been deemed ineligible uses a VPN as well. 

Does anyone know if using a VPN can cause a referral to incorrectly look suspicious/duplicate?  And is there any way to appeal the decision?  I feel bad that I told someone they'd get more space from my referral, then it was labeled as suspicious and neither of us got extra space.  I've seen opening a ticket suggested in other forum messages but haven't seen a way to actually do that.  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the reply, I've sent you an email, please reply to me when you get a chance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Cyanotype, thanks for messaging the Community!

It's possible that a VPN could cause referrals to be detected as ineligible, since it would seem like multiple users are attempting to do so from the same location.

Would it be possible to contact you at the email associated with your forum profile to assist further? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Cyanotype
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, it's fine to contact me - thanks, @Jay!

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the reply, I've sent you an email, please reply to me when you get a chance!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

MiCe
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Jay,

I have similar problem. I'm a hobby photographer and I always recommend Dropbox to my models as a great way to deliver my photos and discuss them with model. And with photos you never have enough space, so referal program is great for me. My models are often bad with computers and not fluent with english. So I wanted to make it as easy as possible for them. I asked for their email to register (I'm not asking for their email password!), signed them up and asked them to confirm their email and change Dropbox password. But Dropbox takes this referrals as Ineligible  😞  Possibly becouse I had signed up multiple accounts on the same computer. But I believe this is not a scam, I have made honest recommendation, explained it to them and even helped them to use it! Can you help me with those two neligible refferrals and give me some advice, how to avoid this problem in future?

Best regards

Milan

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @MiCe, would it be possible to contact you at the email associated with your profile to look into this in more detail? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MiCe
Explorer | Level 3

Sure! Please write me what do you need to know! Thank you @Jay !

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the message, I've sent you an email, please could you reply to it as soon as possible!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

sang1
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay, 

Same thing here. 

I gave my wife a old MacBook and she installed dropbox into her MacBook after I sent her invitation

She has never had an account with dropbox. 

I used that MacBook with dropbox. 

I did factory reset before I gave it to her but your system recognized it as same computer.....

So I was not able to receive free 500mb referral spaces.....

can you also help me out??

Thanks

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @sang1, I hope you're having a great Tuesday! 

I reached out to you via email. 

I'd be happy to look into this for you. Thanks!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?