cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral sent to a friend marks as inelegible

Referral sent to a friend marks as inelegible

tnaeem786
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I sent a request to a friend for them to install Dropbox. They followed all the process steps and were awarded 259mb. On my account against their referral email, it is marked as ineligible.

This does not make any sense, they set up the account on a different computer. So why is this marked as ineligible? Can someone please look into this for.

My email is <<removed to avoid spam>>

Regards, Tahir

29 Replies 29

Mark
Super User II

Unfortunately I dont think there is anything you can do - the system has detected that there is something not correct about that referral. 

This usually happens if people are using the same IP address or have been detected be on the same computers or mobile devices etc. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

tnaeem786
Explorer | Level 3

The referral is my sister.  She was using one of my old laptop which I had installed dropbox on previously, but I had uninstalled it.

This seems not ethical, this is a genuine case, I referred her, she got the bonus and on my account her email is marked as ineligible.

I don't agree with this, and I am sure it can be corrected on your backend of the dropbox server ?

Can someone please help me with this ?

Regards, Tahir

Mark
Super User II

I dont think there is anyway to help (I dont work for Dropbox).

Usually we'd say log a ticket, but, as free users cannot now log tickets I'm unsure what else can happen. 

Sorry

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

tnaeem786
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for yur reply

Is it possible for you to help and log a tickets, if you have an  upgraded account. Otherwise I guess not to worry.

Thanks

Rich
Super User II

I doubt the 259 MB of space she received had anything to do with the referral. Referrals award 500 MB of space, no less. More than likely the entire referral (both your side and hers) was inelegible. This can happen if you're both on the same network, or if she used a computer that previously had Dropbox installed.

No one else can log a ticket for you, other than a Dropbox employee.

tnaeem786
Explorer | Level 3
My sister is in the same house but has a seperate laptop.. But obviously using the same wifi and ip address.. but it seems unfair that yu should get penelised even though this is a genuine bonafide case..
Hope some1 from dropbox can help otherwise i go away a unhappy user.. what can yu do 🙄

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @tnaeem786, just jumping in here!

If your referral is marked as "Ineligible" then this could be due to the recipient already having a Dropbox account under the email address you referred, or that they are using the same device that your account is connected to.

As you mentioned that they are using their own computer, is it possible that they already had a Dropbox account under the email address that you sent the referral to?

For the referral to be successful, they need to create an account as well install the desktop app as outlined here.

As Rich mentioned, the space they received wouldn't be for a referral and sounds like one of the "getting started" steps to install the desktop app, meaning they already had an account under that email address.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tnaeem786
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne

Thanks for your reply, I can 100% confirm she did not have a dropbox account before. In anycase if we send a referral to someone with an email that is already linked to a dropbox, the system gives yu a notification to that effect.

She did all the steps to create the account and installed it successfully on the laptop.

Regards, Tahir

tnaeem786
Explorer | Level 3

Hi 

I have a question. My Dropbox is Fulll, and I am trying to delete files that no longer needed to make extra space?

I have deleted quite a lot, but amount of used space has not changed?

Any advise, please?

Tahir

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ktg New member | Level 2
    Ranim Al-shakifi Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?